Dvd Burners - Which One?

Wargasm

Is your preference just NEC or is there a list of "Namebrands" you'll buy from?

That's a nice looking unit. I haven't played w/ one myself nor do I know of anyone who has it yet, but if I come across someone w/ it, I'll give some feedback on it. In general, NEC isn't a bad product, so if you're willing to shell out the $175+ for it, you should be fine.

Sony also makes a DVD Burner that U may be interested in as well. It's the Sony DW-U10A Model. It offers Buffer Underrun technology, something I don't recall seeing on the NEC. Buffer Underrun is a godsend & the prices between these 2 devices are pretty much the same.

-- Nem

Yea, I was looking at that one too, but didnt find a lot of info on it. I want to make sure it is compatable with all the different formats, since it will have to replace my Sony 40x burner. Also, the NEC drive I was looking at is black - matches the case.

By the way, what CDrom are you using now? I got a black one if youre interested. That Creative 52x drive died, so I replaced it with a 52x black drive. I bought 2. NOt sure what brand it is, I'll have to get to my box of parts for that info.

If that black cdrw is a dvd/cdrom player, then I'm interested. If not, oh well, but thanx for the offer though.

As for that Sony dvd burner, here's the LINK I found for it. Sorry, didn't see it offered in Black nor did I see any of the OTHER models offered in Black either buddy.

http://www.jazztechnology.biz/product/SODWU10AGNS

-- Nem

:blink: The NEC 1300A I was looking at is black, both sellers had the same model in black. I know you try to avoid it, but try looking on egay...hehe. The prices are better than pricewatch sometimes, and they have more variety. I'll look for the DW-U10A on there, but If I remember correctly, it doesnt support the new +r/+rw standards. I'm remembering the initial CDR compatability nightmare....expecially when someone brings me a computer from that era. I worked on a P400 laptop about a month ago. It wouldnt read my old burns, ones I made with the old 4x burner. I had to make a copy of my old CD's for the system to be able to read the disk. Just compatability issues. The old CDrom couldnt read that cd format. Mine didnt have a problem with it.

I'll look for more info on the DW-U10A

Yea it does both. I checked it. Price is more than the NEC, and they have one in black

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...&category=27178

They also have a dru510AX. I dont see any major differences, so why does it cost more? Still can only do 4.7 gig DVD's. Where are the ones that do 10.5 gigs? They arent available to consumers yet? or are they still too rediculously priced....like lazer printers? :blink:

.....by the way, why am I listed as a gaming fan instead of a hardcore gamer??? not enough posts??? You've run into my flak cannon many a time. I guess you just couldnt see me cause you were just gibs....hehe :D

I think your talking about the dual-layer (movie) discs that you can buy now. I havn't seen a writable format for dual-layer yet. And would certainly need that before any drives will come out.

I seen other formats, including the Blu-Ray which is suppose to hold something crazy like 27gigs....

Yep, you need 100+ posts to make Hardcore gamer rating.... but you'll get a rating upgrade at 50 posts! :blink:

I'm pretty biased on Plextor..... not sure I could bring myself to buy any other brand. Maybe Lite-On or TDK, if they make them.

:) Yep, came in this week. I was in Buf all week redoing water lines in a friends b-room, just got home. Next question - how long will it take me to install it? Dont know if I have the energy tonight, but its here. I did get the sony, and its black. Now the only drive I need to change is the DVD player, that one is still grey.

• 1 month later...
Plextor 8X DVD-RW +RW DVD Recorder

Had to throw this one out at you B.Ob. as I know you like Plextor drives... Plextor seem to be the first with a low cost 8x, but it's only on the +RW side... the war is on....

Dual format Plextor is here!!! You can even find a review of it at here at Anand Tech

"...Pioneer and NEC are both expected to produce 8X capable DVD+R and DVD-R capable drives in November..."

"Plextor deserved every ounce of hype and praise for this drive."

Glad to see they are back in the swing with a DVD writing drive!! :)