bad CPU?

B.Ob.

Ok, here's the story:

Gigabyte GA-7VTXE (VIA 266a) motherboard, Athlon XP Palamino 1800+, 3 sticks of 256Meg 266MHz DDR, 270 watt power stupply, GeForce3 Ti 200, Kingston nic, SB Live.

Above system stops working after pc box gets punched. All fans spin, no post from pc, no beeps.

Take out: SB live, Kingston nic, 2 sticks of mem. Move the stick of mem around, same. Try a different stick of mem. same. Took out video card (so there wasn't one), same. The GB m/b has a led on it that starts yellow, then goes green after it starts POST, but now never goes green!

Replace the m/b with a Chaintech 7NJL6 (nforce2), same. Try a different video card, same. Try different power supply, same.

I already have an idea what the problem could be, but looking for opinions before I proceed further....

So what do you think is wrong?

Upon more black magic..... I tried another 1800 from another machine that happens to here for service, same. I put in my Barton, mem and Antec p/s from my game server in Chaintech m/b and still no POST!!! Looks like a bad new motherboard. Never had to return something to newegg before...

I held my breath when I put my *working* parts back into the game server ( ABIT m/b ) and it still worked!! *whew*