Trillian 3 Alpha

Trillian 3 Sneak Preview

Trillian v3.0 Alpha Impressions

"I’d like to elaborate on some of these features, the first of which being Trillian’s signature containers. Instead of having several message windows open for each buddy, you can choose to create one container (essentially a major window that holds multiple, smaller windows), and throw all your open chats into there. Containers can be based on your buddies’ medium (AIM, MSN, etc.) or listing (Contacts, My Buddies, Recent Buddies, etc.)."

"Many users, including myself, found great fault in v2.0’s file transfer options. When the feature did work, it was often limited, slow, and performed erratically. I’m happy to report that already things are looking up. I tested transferring multiple file types and various sizes to friends, and experienced not a single issue. Additionally, you can allow Trillian to transfer files to friends from within Windows Explorer, simply by right-clicking the file, and selecting the “Trillian: Send File” entry from the drop down. Trillian can also allow your virus scanner to check transferred files, but has no built-in virus scanner of its own. Users without one are out of luck in that department. All these options can be set from the File Transfer section of the Preferences menu."

• 4 weeks later...

Been running version 3 for about 2 to 3 weeks, only has crashed once. It now auto updates when opened like the xfire client, this week it has been updating everyday. Newest Build 954 was what it was up to. Was not happy that it requires the newest Quicktime and .net be installed possibly for support for Rendezvous and better MSN Support.

Serverless IM is powered by Apple's Rendezvous protocol. Rendezvous enables automatic discovery of computers, devices, and services on IP networks. Within the context of Trillian, Rendezvous allows two Trillian users on the same LAN (within a company's firewall, for example) to communicate without the need for any instant messaging servers. Also known as zero-configuration networking, Rendezvous uses industry standard IP protocols to allow devices to automatically find each other without the need to enter IP addresses or configure DNS servers. Rendezvous is an open protocol, which Apple has submitted to the IETF as part of the ongoing standards-creation process.

It now includes almost every plugin that Cerulean Studios has developed and then some.

As you chat with your contacts, Trillian scans each of your messages in realtime to determine which words or phrases have interesting information associated with them. You may then choose to click these words to take further action, or can simply move your mouse over the words for a brief summary. Your messages are never sent to our servers for processing for any reason; all actions are taken locally, on your machine. Cerulean Studios has no access whatsoever to your messages.

Sneak Peek

• 2 weeks later...