Anyone else run SETI?

Does anyone here run SETI besides myself?

What is SETI?

Their homepage

I run my own SETI proxy here using SetiQueue. (cause we know neither adelphia nor berkeley's server will go down *cough* B) ) (Summary is usually what I go to most here)

My stats here

Basically when it runs, it keeps your CPU at 100% all the time, so if you have CPU, memory, motherboard, power supply or cooling issues, they crop up pretty quick!! So needless to say, if my machines aren't 100% stable, I get to find out why.

For those interested in running it, email me and I'll send you the CLI version that I run as a service. I hope to have that zipped and up for anytime download soon!

This is mostly just an introductory post, I'll continue my chatter on SETI soon....

If I didnt have ~8 torrents running at all times...

I've read into this a few years ago and was amazed at all the clustered power by these bigname sites. I was gonna join [H]'s team back in the day, but my puny system wouldn't have dented any figures on dialup.

Hmmm, I know 3 don't seem to slow mine down at all.... Yeah, I'm with Team ArsTechnica, LambChop. Didn't join them til recently.

Interestingly enough, SETI seems bound by Floating Point Operations. As the Athlon XPs seem to crunch faster (at least with an nForce2 chipset) than the 533MHz frontside bus Pentium 4's!!! Not sure on the newer 800 fsb ones or Prescotts.

Email sent....

Guess I should explain the machines that show up currently on the SetiQueue List

(if you sort by Avg CPU, they will show accordingly)

EMPERORW2K = Athlon XP Barton 2400+ Mobile clocked at 2.1GHz (11X190) nForce2

LEIA = Athlon XP 2500+ stock 1.83GHz (11x166) nForce2

vader = Athlon XP 2500+ running at 1.862GHz (14x133) nForce2

ny-lackawna-cadent1-grp1b-213.bflony.adelphia.net = A-XP 2000+ stock (Palamino chip) VIA 400 chipset

69-163-25-230.kntnny.adelphia.net = A-XP 1800+ stock, Pal, VIA 266a chipset

ny-amherst-C4-2-bg2b-2-62.bflony.adelphia.net = Pentium4 2.4Ghz stock, ? chipset

C3PO = Athlon XP 1800+ stock, Palamino, VIA 266a chipset

ny-amherst-C4-1-bg1b-1-215.bflony.adelphia.net = A-XP 1800+ stock, Pal, VIA ? chipset

roc-66-67-136-180.rochester.rr.com = A-XP 1800+ stock, Pal, VIA ? chipset

69-161-82-94.bflony.adelphia.net = Athlon 64 FX-51, 2.2Ghz, ? chipset

192.168.1.11 = Pentium3 Coppermine 850MHz stock, BX chipset

* Will update this as I get more info and/or PCs in the list....

** All PCs are running SETI CLI, except the Athlon FX-31 (not sure on that one)

*** All PCs are running Win2000 or XP except 192.168.1.11, which has FreeBSD v4.9

SETI is in a transitional period, as they have made their was-beta version of SETI for BOINC! publically available SETI under BOINC!.

I havn't played with the unsupported CLI portion of it yet. As I'm waiting for BOINC! to become more stable with work units to be worked on (which is why you see EMPERORW2K having the lowest CPU times, but not the most work done in the SETIQueue program I've talked about above)

So what does BOINC! offer? Quite a bit actually, it has a built in work unit cacheing (which should make programs like SETIQueue not necessary) and you can also sign up for other projects, like Predictor, and decide what percentage of your CPU time is used for each project.

If you're a current SETI (classic) user, then you have to activate your current acct for BOINC! before expecting it to run for ya!! Otherwise, of course, you have to sign up as a newbie.

• 3 weeks later...

69-161-82-94.bflony.adelphia.net = Athlon 64 FX-51, 2.2Ghz, ? chipset has finally pulled into first place, where it should be!! Still gotta find out the chipset on that board....