WNY Gamers Club - November LAN Event

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am saddened by the "port" attitude they took on this. Was a huge cod4 fan.

In the grand scheme of things the max 18 players / server doesnt bother me too much as i found in cod4 the sweet spot to play at was about 20 people. The peer to peer bit is quite scary though. If it does manage to match based on close pings and was consistent it wouldnt be too bad. A big question I have right now is if I went online to play with buddies could i get into the same games as them ?

Gonna try it out later - im really hoping they didnt bjork the control scheme and it feels clumsy console'ish.

I'm with DaPoets on this one. Perhaps not quite a vehemently, but regardless, Infinity Ward will not be getting my money for MW2. Doubtless they have reasons for making the decisions that they have, but turning one of the best shooter franchises into a PC console port is just a bad call.

Then again, considering how many of us there are, compared to people who don't even think of such issues, it's doubtful that IW really care. We're probably less than %5 of their potential market, and even then, I'd bet that %80 of the people who care about the issues we're discussing will still buy it anyways. That turns us into a %1 audience which IW can afford to ignore. Just a sad fact, ya know?

Then again, considering how many of us there are, compared to people who don't even think of such issues, it's doubtful that IW really care. We're probably less than %5 of their potential market, and even then, I'd bet that %80 of the people who care about the issues we're discussing will still buy it anyways. That turns us into a %1 audience which IW can afford to ignore. Just a sad fact, ya know?

Unfortunately true.

You can just ask Techboy about me ranting at work about how it used to be better in the "old" days. Im talking like pre 2003. When getting a lan game to work was a challenge... And after spending 2 hours setting up IPX, rebooting PCs, installing picky NIC drivers, Ventrillo, Teamspeek - - - - - - You played the game, not because it was good, but because it took so f-ing long to set up.... And everyone enjoyed it! Now this crap of automatching game servers, games that install loaders and preloaders, Games for windows, autoupdates, *cough* STEAM *cough*, Everything is server side. No game settings to tweak (ok Valve still has the hang of this), no client trust, no trust that the person in the chair may actually know what to do.

Companies say "Hey were opening the market, people who couldnt play games before are now playing games".

-> I say if you couldnt figure that out, i dont want to play with you anyway.

[/RANT]

Lap.

Companiees could careless about ppl that don't buy the games... AKA 99% of the LAN players... Microsoft this week cut 1 million xbox live accounts, that is 20% of the total subs they have, for having chipped consoles. Must be that only selling a game at $50-$60 is making them money and not the Live subs or the hardware.

I'm new to your LAN group--never been to a party, just been lurking for a while. I think I'll come. What games are popular with your group? I didn't see a list and wanna pre-install some stuff.

UT2004/UT3, SupCom, Killing floor, L4D, Crysis....

Or is this more like a 'bring everything' type of thing?

If it's fun, I can probably bring some of my little 4-man crew to the next one.

sad news guys.....

my computer will be "left 4 dead" literally.

it died a slow death and i think my copy of windows finally crocked.

i would reinstall but it wont be done in time for the lan tomorrow

if i do come im bringing my OEM and ill only be able to play left 4 dead lol

its the only game on there and theres no room for any other games