Overclocking best practices...

ParoxysM

I just ordered stuff for a new system:

ABIT IX38 Quad GT | Intel E8400 Wolfdale | OCZ Reaper 2GB PC2 8500 | CORSAIR 750W | XIGMATEK HDT-S1283

...so naturally I am grinding the hardware forums and reviews to see what other people are getting OC'ing. After reading a lot of the threads from OPs and "expert" repliers I've come to realize these people should be buying Dells. I know a few of the members here OC, so just wanted your see your process.

1. Set a budget to work with, then read reviews/forums to see what would fit in that budget

2. Read more to narrow down what is positively compatible and gives the best bang for the buck (find max values for mobo, CPU, RAM)

3. Read to find out which BIOS version gives the best OC, download that and any required new drivers

4. Carefully inspect the new hardware for defects, sand HSU if required (I don't lap to a mirror finish)

5. POST and look around in the BIOS, flash now if necessary

6. Disable/set standard options in the BIOS (disable floppy, LPT, etc)

6. Lower the multiplier and start pumping the FSB, increase the voltage when required, find the max

7. Set CPU back to default (or less), then increase the RAM to it's rated voltage and pump the speed with default timings to find max. I don't go too much over on the RAM voltage as it doesn't make a big difference and causes instability quickly

8. I'm still in the BIOS, but I have a good idea on the upper limits of my hardware, so I can skip upto 3/4 of what I got to burn-in the CPU within Windows

9. I dread booting into Windows to tweak the settings and constantly crashing...using an on-the-fly PC'ing app is only fun for the first few minutes

I guess I could've been a lot more detailed about things spreading the thermal paste with an inside-out sandwich bag, but my carpal is acting up.

Running my Intel 2.4Ghz Q6600 @ 3.2Ghz and have never had any issues set at 4 4 4 12 timings. Had it up to 3.6Ghz and everything ran great except WCG 1/2 my results would come back inconclusive. As you can see I need a faster HD now though 5.9 score for Vista on all but the HD.

rating.jpg

Give me a few days to get the meds out of my system..... Too much deep thought atm for meds I currently taking.

I can't quite get my 3GHz E8400 to 4.5GHz - 9x499.

Using a backup video card until the system is stable...can only run 3dmark03 ;)

30kpsno.jpg

Edited by ParoxysM

I can't quite get my 3GHz E8400 to 4.5GHz - 9x499.

Using a backup video card until the system is stable...can only run 3dmark03 ;)

30kpsno.jpg

Thats a heck of an OC, smaller process and dual core helped lots.

Coming to think of it, isn't that a HUGE jump up in speed without verifying with SuperPI, WCG, etc.

They really should have made it so the non-online version of 3dmark doesn't work anymore so you have to post a link, which always has juicy system info. Be to just drool over, or build a similar rig.

How many fans did you put on your CPU cooler?

I currently have my system in the Tech Station I won from Xoxide last year, so I have that fan + CPU fan. Only problem is I had to remove the hard drive rails due to the HSU being so tall. Both fans are silently running @ 1300-1400 RPM.

I remember that station. I liked it a lot, but forgot about getting one. /me puts that on x-mas list! ;) Glad to hear the system is really quiet for ya!! :P

If you still have all the parts for the 2nd, PM me a price and I'll probably take it off your hands.