CrossFireX is near

B.Ob.

CrossFireX preview

AMD's CrossFireX: Tri & Quad GPU Preview

"Looking at four-GPU scaling, as represented by two Radeon HD 3870 X2s in tandem, pushing 3x a single 3870's performance is highly dependent upon the title and resolution. Only Half-Life 2: Episode 2 manages it, just, with the other games scaling to around 2.5x. Crysis scaling, though, is horrendous, and that's a problem in itself, considering just how popular the game is."

I didnt know you had 2GB of RAM on your video card...nice 1.

Ah, I see what you are saying now... misunderstood and was at work. You have to remember that it is not 2GB total, when you run crossfire textures are not loaded across the boards as in two 512MB cards gets you 1GB of video ram, each card has to load a full set of textures even if it is not rendering that section of the screen. As in the 3870x2 it does not have 1GB of video ram available, it is 512Mb per GPU (two GPU 1GB, all in the marketing) so you are still limited to 512MB of textures loaded total. This can actually hurt performance on load times when running in crossfire, with Quad CF there is a possiblity that a game will have to read 512MB of textures in to GDDR four times = 2GB of total transfer for each level of a game, now your HD is a large bottle neck.

As for games, the only game to my knowledge to take advantage of more the 512GB of uncompressed textures is Quake Wars with Mega Textures enabled and it is optimized for nvidia hardware.

I would think that even in the case of CoD4 only a little under 256MB of compressed textures would be used to ensure reasonable performance differences between 256MB cards and 512MB. 90% of all new games are writen with 256Mb cards still in mind still.

CrossFireX Scaling Take 2

"Again we must stress that the numbers you will see in this report should not be compared directly to any other numbers you can find in any other article.

To be perfectly honest we were not expecting much out of CrossFireX in Crysis, considering the game is currently the poster child for NVIDIA’s “The Way It’s Meant To Be Played” propaganda. However, we were quite impressed that the Radeon HD 3870 X2 configuration was able to produce a 36% increase at Very High settings."