NVIDIA Buys AGEIA

NVIDIA to Acquire AGEIA Technologies

""NVIDIA is the perfect fit for us. They have the world's best parallel computing technology and are the thought leaders in GPUs and gaming. We are united by a common culture based on a passion for innovating and driving the consumer experience," said Manju Hegde, co-founder and CEO of AGEIA."

Be interesting to see AMD/ATI's response to this.....

NVIDIA to Acquire AGEIA Technologies

""NVIDIA is the perfect fit for us. They have the world's best parallel computing technology and are the thought leaders in GPUs and gaming. We are united by a common culture based on a passion for innovating and driving the consumer experience," said Manju Hegde, co-founder and CEO of AGEIA."

Be interesting to see AMD/ATI's response to this.....

Looks like nVidia is back in the xBox 360 again.

I didn't realize it was that big...

AGEIA physics software is pervasive with over 10,000 registered and active users of the PhysX SDK.

but then again I didn't include Sony Playstation3, Microsoft XBOX 360 and Nintendo Wii along with PCs.

Analysis: Nvidia's Ageia Purchase - A Brilliant Move?

"Despite its enthusiasm, the launch of Ageia was not as successful as hoped. While developing the PhysX PCIe card, Ageia found that several popular chipsets from Intel and Nvidia actually do not comply with PCIe v1.1 regulations due to too much noise. As a result, the PhysX PCIe card did not work. Given the fact that the company was new to market, it opted not to go into a war with the giants of the industry. Rather, a more friendly line was adopted and the PhysX card came to life as a PCI part. With today's motherboards not having room for any usable PCI slots, Ageia's future was pretty much sealed."

I didn't realize it was that big...

AGEIA physics software is pervasive with over 10,000 registered and active users of the PhysX SDK.

but then again I didn't include Sony Playstation3, Microsoft XBOX 360 and Nintendo Wii along with PCs.

UT3 and a bunch of other games are now installing the AGEIA rendering software and just using the CPU to do the work. After looking in my program files I have v2.74 installed. PS3, 360 and WII all only use it in software mode, just like the PC. I would like to see a comparison review on software vs hardware, I bet it is not that far apart though.

• 2 weeks later...

GeForce 8 graphics processors to gain PhysX support

"We're working toward the physics-engine-to-CUDA port as we speak. And we intend to throw a lot of resources at it. You know, I wouldn't be surprised if it helps our GPU sales even in advance of [the port's completion]. The reason is, [it's] just gonna be a software download. Every single GPU that is CUDA-enabled will be able to run the physics engine when it comes. . . . Every one of our GeForce 8-series GPUs runs CUDA.

Our expectation is that this is gonna encourage people to buy even better GPUs. It might—and probably will—encourage people to buy a second GPU for their SLI slot. And for the highest-end gamer, it will encourage them to buy three GPUs. Potentially two for graphics and one for physics, or one for graphics and two for physics."