Radeon 3870 X2

Radeon 3870 X2 works at 825MHz

"ATI dared to clock two RV670 chips to over 775MHz, and it realized that its dual slot cooler can cool this chip all the way to 825MHz. This is the current clock of Radeon 3870 X2, but some partners might clock it a bit faster.

This is the minimal clock of the card. ATI clocked it at over 800MHz in order to break one Teraflop, and this will be the first card to do that, while Nvidia’s Geforce 9800 GX2 will be the second to go over this mark."

HD3870X2 delayed, benchmarked

"AMD HAS riled world+dog by back the date on the 3870X2 launch.

NDA’d for today, the twin engine graphics card was supposed to shock and awe consumers around the world as hardware sites were to publish their benchies on the beast.

Sources claim AMD delayed the release by a week so the 3870X2, 3650 and 3450 will all be launched together on the 28th in one big benchmarkfest.

The reason NDA'd reviewers and editors are miffed is that they received their samples last Friday, spent a weekend benchpressing the cards and now they have received a postponement call from DAAMIT explaining they are working on new drivers for the cards.

However, pouring salt into the wound, lawless bandits in far-off China (actually it's a post on PCOnline.com.cn) have also ruined the NDA party by breaking cover and ambushing a poor little 3870X2 with a bunch of benchmarks. You've got numbers galore there, and you can see the 3870X2 pulling ahead of an 8800Ultra, 14573 to 10676 in 3DMark06 – with the “old” drivers, we assume.

In other words, while the samples are fine, DAAMIT is likely to be fine-tuning the driver performance in order to avoid any glitches. We can only assume that the reviewers that signed the NDA are really just getting to be official spokessites for the final versions of the driver.

So sit tight - seven days until West catches up with East. µ"

Comes bundled with the hottest DX10 game, Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts.

I wish PCI-E 2.0 was a lot better than 1.0.

It is 2x better as far as bandwidth, but you would not even be hitting the limits of PCIE 1.1 with 2 of these cards installed in CF, PCIE 2.0 is more for future use or for ppl that want to run 4 of these cards in CF.

Comes bundled with the hottest DX10 game, Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts.

I wish PCI-E 2.0 was a lot better than 1.0.

It is 2x better as far as bandwidth, but you would not even be hitting the limits of PCIE 1.1 with 2 of these cards installed in CF, PCIE 2.0 is more for future use or for ppl that want to run 4 of these cards in CF.

CF up to 20% faster

"Going From PCI Express 1.0a To 2.0

To get right to the point, upgrading from PCI Express 1.x to 2.0 is not worthwhile right now. The current crop of graphics cards just doesn't tax the PCI Express bus enough for a difference to be visible. All test cards, across the board, showed a minor performance boost of 1 to 2 percent, with the HD2900 XT reaching better results despite the fact that it doesn't have a 2.0 interface. This improvement may be caused by the newer chipset or the higher memory speed. Also, a difference of 1 to 3 percent is also slim enough to be considered within the margin of error for testing."

Hard|OCP revew

Toms Hardware review

Anandtech review

"It has been far too long since AMD/ATI have been at the top of the performance charts; the crown had been lost on both CPU and GPU fronts, but today's Radeon HD 3870 X2 introduction begins to change that. The Radeon HD 3870 X2 is the most elegant single-card, multi-GPU design we've seen to date and the performance is indeed higher than any single-card NVIDIA solution out today.

AMD is also promising the X2 at a fairly attractive price point; at $449 it is more expensive than NVIDIA's GeForce 8800 GTS 512, but it's also consistently faster in the majority of titles we tested. If you're looking for something in between the performance of an 8800 GTS 512 and a 8800 GT 512 SLI setup, the Radeon HD 3870 X2 is perfect."

Well, a single 3870x2 does not require a CF chipset to work. And with a single card, I don't think there is a way to enable/disable one of the gpus.

Sorry, I meant multiple 3870x2.

The thing that sucks is if you are playing a game that doesn't support multiple gpus, then you only use 1/2 the card until the driver is rewritten. I can see the next set having a looooooooong list of updates.

Sorry, I meant multiple 3870x2.

The thing that sucks is if you are playing a game that doesn't support multiple gpus, then you only use 1/2 the card until the driver is rewritten. I can see the next set having a looooooooong list of updates.

Yes, it will be nice to see them concentrating more on CF drivers now!! I havn't heard when the Quad-Fire drivers will be out.