Tech Blunders of '07

The 15 Biggest Tech Disappointments of 2007

#2. What Is It Good For: The High-Def Format War

Did we learn nothing from VHS vs. Betamax, CD-R vs. CD-RW, DVD-A vs. SACD, and so on down the line? At least the warring DVD camps worked out a compromise in the mid-90s that allowed everyone to profit from the new movie format (though it took them a while). Not so in HD land, where a take-no-prisoners attitude on both sides has left consumers cold. It will be a snowy day in Video Hell before we'll put our money down on either format.

CD-R vs. CD-RW

???

Thought that was DVD+R and DVD-R... either way HD is over rated... and they only want ppl to buy DVD's in HD so it stops ppl from copying them...

I love the HD radio in my one car (all comedy radio with not commercials on 98.5 HD2 kicks ass and 97 Rock in HD kicks more), but there is not enuff for me to replace the radio in my other car with Sirius in it (130 Channels with 30min live pause/record and 20 artist/song alert and hockey game scores on screen).

Same thing goes for HD on DVD's I am not giving up my DIVX Standalone DVR before it dies... :)

I think the plan was for everything to be CD-RW so that there wouldn't be wasted CD's everywhere, but of course going CD-R is much more profitable since making coasters is profitable for CD makers!!!

Edited by DaPoets