CrossfireX & Hybrid

AMD's ATI Hybrid CrossFire Sneak Peek Exclusive

"Hybrid CrossFire is not meant for the enthusiast, but we do think the technology will indirectly benefit enthusiasts in the future, hence our reason for talking about it. That and Hybrid CrossFire is just pretty darn cool technology. Hybrid CrossFire is achieved by utilizing one of AMD’s new integrated chipset GPUs (IGP) and one of their new video cards. That’s right; Hybrid CrossFire utilizes one video card plugged into your PCI-Express slot and is able to join forces with the GPU built into the motherboard chipset. The setup we got to game and benchmark on is seen below."

• 1 month later...

A Brief Look at CrossFireX Scaling

"This configuration, running more than two AMD GPUs in CrossFire, is actually called CrossFireX. CrossFireX does not have to be two Radeon HD 3870 X2’s, it can also be four or three of any other capable AMD graphics card. The only catch is that there is limited real estate on the motherboard, so if you are planning to put four HD2900XTs in CrossFireX with their stock coolers, you are going to run into some problems. Furthermore, the only chipset that supports four separate graphics cards in CrossFireX is AMD’s own 790FX, which sports 4 PCI-Express x16 slots. What makes the Radeon HD 3870X2 so attractive for this configuration is that it only requires the use of two PCI-Express slots. Not only does this make it more ideal from a space conservation standpoint, but it also enables CrossFireX on several other more popular chipsets (Intel X38, X48, P35, 975, 965; ATI Xpress 3200)."

FEAR - 77% improvement

3dmark06 - 15% improvment

I saw that FEAR had a minimum FPS of 10, if I had the following specs I'd be pissed if I ever got under 200. 3dmark should've been higher.

Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9770 @ 4.2GHz (400x10.5)

2x MSI Radeon HD 3870 X2 (R3870X2-T2D1G-OC 850/1800)

4x1024MB Kingston HyperX PC3 14400

2x Western Digital Raptor 150 10,000RPM

FEAR - 77% improvement

3dmark06 - 15% improvment

I saw that FEAR had a minimum FPS of 10, if I had the following specs I'd be pissed if I ever got under 200. 3dmark should've been higher.

Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9770 @ 4.2GHz (400x10.5)

2x MSI Radeon HD 3870 X2 (R3870X2-T2D1G-OC 850/1800)

4x1024MB Kingston HyperX PC3 14400

2x Western Digital Raptor 150 10,000RPM

Yeah, but at least 3dMark isn't a game!! :anv2: Interesting to see, but first official release of the driver should be MORE interesting!!

CrossFireX and DirectX 9 and 10 scaling

"There are some rumours that CrossFireX doesn’t scale well with DX10. Do DirectX 10 titles scale as well as DirectX 9?

AMD: We find it amusing that others can speak about our products and their performance. We also find it amusing that some people are trying to diminish the importance of DX9 games. DX10 titles have just recently started shipping and we continue to work with game developers to make driver optimizations that work best with their respective engines. We expect good scaling with many of the DX10 titles. DX9 games account for 96% of the games sold last year in North America so the vast majority of people are still playing DX9 games. It is therefore critical that we first address the scaling on DX9 titles. We expect good to great scaling across many of DX9 titles with the launch of the CrossFireX driver."