Phenom hits da street

AMD's Phenom Unveiled: A Somber Farewell to K8

"Two more quad-core Phenoms will come out in Q1: the 9900 and 9700, clocked at 2.6GHz and 2.4GHz respectively. The Phenom 9900 will be priced below $350 while the 9700 will be a sub-$300 part. As you can probably guess, the introduction of those two will push down the pricing of the 9600 and 9500, which will help Phenom be a bit more competitive.

It's worth mentioning that in the 11th hour AMD decided to introduce a multiplier-unlocked version of the Phenom 9600 sometime this year that will be priced at the same $283 mark. Whether or not it's called a Black Edition is yet to be determined."

Phenom 9700, AMD's 1st Quad-Core CPU

"The exhaustion in the faces of our editors in the Munich lab is a testament to the hard work they've put into this article over the past few hours and days. We tested all three models of the new processor, the Phenom 9700, Phenom 9600 and Phenom 9500 , running each of them through our benchmark suite. Along with the Phenom processor, AMD is also presenting its "AMD OverDrive" tool.

With the new 7-series chipset family, consisting of the 790FX, 790X and 770, AMD is simultaneously unveiling the Spider platform. Up to four graphics cards can be set up as a Crossfire X configuration using the new 790FX chipset.

All of the current and the new motherboards and processors are fully compatible with one another."

AMD Phenom 9500 Agena 2.2GHz Quad-Core 4X 512KB L2 Cache 2MB L3 Cache Socket AM2 95W Processor - Retail - $259.99

Priced a bit high, but at least they are starting to come out!!

If your looking for them on newegg, just pick Core Type: Aegna

• 3 weeks later...

AMD Phenom is BROKEN - Costs a 14% performance hit to fix

"The reason they were able to proceed with the launch is that this particular erratum is fixable via a microcode update (done using a motherboard BIOS update). Basically, the part of the L3 logic that causes the problem is disabled. However, running the fix instills a performance penalty, because of how the L3 cache’s throughput and latency is affected. There was no way to know exactly how performance would be affected, except for the “around 10%” estimate that has been floating around. Fortunately, our friends at Tech Report have obtained a retail Phenom 9500, and tested its performance before and after applying the patch on an MSI motherboard."

Phenom B3 errata free comes next week

"Phenom B3 samples that won't have the overhyped errata will be ready next week. This CPU goes easily to 2.6GHz out of the box and enables some higher clocks in the future.

We believe that AMD messed up big time making a big deal of this errata as every single processor that was out has some sort of errata and bugs."

• 2 months later...

Two Phenom-Friendly Motherboards Reviewed

That doesn't stop the diehards, and we know you're out there. Apparently,

Gigabyte and MSI also know you're lurking in the shadows building your Spider

platform PCs, and both companies have offered up some

terrific bases upon which to build: the Gigabyte MA790FX-DQ6 and the MSI K9A2

Platinum.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2259224,00.asp

The slow painful march that is Phenom. At least its picking up speed!! :)

True, I am still very happy with my Intel Q6600, needed a change and the price was right. Have had a 1/2 dozen AMD CPUs since the last Intel I had, which was a a PIII 450Mhz Slot1 that I ran @ 600Mhz for years. I am just as impressed with the Q6600 as I was with that chip and with my AMD 2500+ Barton and 2400+ Mobile. AMD lost me for the next few years I am afraid though.