DaPoet's new rig project... (shh don't tell the Fiance)

DaPoets

Ok after all this talk of new video cards and 45nm processors, I'm going to design a rig that has no business to exist except to have a big E-penis. I'm going to call it Dexter (Ed Murphy Raw).

TEC Cooling

QX9650 quad core processor 45nm 3ghz (will oc to probably 5ghz w/ TEC cooling) w/ 12mb L2 cache.

DDR3 PC 12800 ram 2x1gb (1600mhz)

x2 ATI HD 3870

12GB Iram Raid 0 for OS (3 Iram cards w/ 4gb each)

Raid 0 for apps

Raid 10 for files

Probably going to use and extended ATX case of some sort, so keep your eyes peeled for funky looking cases that stand out... I'll need help w/ that one.

I just have to find a motherboard now that will be CrossfireX compatible and compatible w/ 45nm processors. I want the MB to be able to use up to 4 HD 3870 cards.

One flaw in my plan is the HD3870 is dual slot and I need the PCI slots for the Iram so I'll have to think of something or drop down to the HD3850.... **ponder ponder ponder

Edited by DaPoets

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah Iram is widely available and cheap. Plus I wouldn't need fast ram at all for the Iram since even dumb slow ram will blow away the fastest Hard drives. yeah the solidstate drive is not an option right now.....

http://computers.pricegrabber.com/storage-...=g_us_b_s/skd=1

Edited by DaPoets

This requires more thought than I can muster atm..... If tmrw is slow at work, perhaps I can make some good suggestions then.

Are you trying to catch me in WCG...in a day, lol.

Everyone will be catching you once you get fired for installing it on every computer (including servers) at work... :groupwavereversed:

I slipped 9 places in the past week after uninstalling it from 4 machines.

in reading more about the Iram, there are reports of people getting 8gb on an Iram using 2gb DDR in each slot. That may be an option.... I need to do more research.

Would think that was a good option if DDR was not so expensive right now.

SATA SSD on newegg - 2 SATA SSD drives reviewed

I know it gets nutty expensive after the first one (8g), but if these are as fast as they promote themselves, even a 8G would be perfect for a boot drive!!! Even nicer since you don't have to play with drivers!!! Even my overbloated WinXP install (windows folder) is just under 4G currently, which leaves plenty of space for the swap file!!! :)

Someone with Vista64 want to give us a heads up on how big your windows folders are?!?

Hmmm, shows them all as 2.5 size drives thou, so a mounting bracket or velcro might be necessary! :groupwavereversed:

For video, how about just 2 of these: R680, Radeon 3870 X2, detailed pics

**EDIT**

Hmmm, seems these are a bit cheaper!!! IDE SSD on newegg

WARNING: make sure you have the right connector and/or adapter if you go IDE, as some of these are meant for laptops!!!!