Went from Raid 0 to Raid 5!!

DaPoets

Sounds like you made the perfect choices for what you needed!! :toot:

While of the subject of....

Setting up the 2.5 TB hot-swap array

"Preliminary results show an unreal level of performance. I've worked with a lot of servers before and I've never seen more than 30 MB/sec (240 mbps) write performance on a RAID5 array because parity calculations are costly performance wise. But the ICH8R RAID controller was writing the test pattern data at the rate of roughly 190 MB/sec (megabytes per second) which is roughly 1.5 gbps! These are performance numbers that I barely see in Enterprise storage gear costing ten to a hundred times more money per gigabyte! I'll be following up with the official results in my RAID article."

I made the 2nd partition into a raid10 instead of a raid5. I did this because it turned out that I have more HD space than I need w/ a raid10 and it's much faster than a raid5. Raid10 only gives you 50% of usable storage space but it is based on a raid0 w/ mirror basicly. Raid 5 would have given me more space but less speed. so I have 100gigs on my 1st raid0 and then like 260gigs on the raid10. I would have had like 340gigs as a raid5 on the 2nd partition but I don't see myself using up even 150gigs anytime soon on the raid10 since the main thing I do that takes up space is edit videos, but when I finish I burn them to DVD anyway so I don't even need them on the PC.

Results from the 4drive raid0

hdbenchmarkcm2.png

Crazy overkill for a single person. Are you just bored, lol.

Hmmm, talking about bored....

bdotobdot 01/19/2007 4:355:12:27:14 3,624,434

ParoxysM 01/17/2007 7:029:16:26:14 3,421,077

thats a LOTTA more Runtime for less points.... :toot:

What do you expect out of 400MHz PII machines?!?!

You always leave off the results column, lol.

bdotobdot   01/19/2007   5:000:07:54:56   3,643,798	8,899
ParoxysM	01/17/2007   7:049:06:49:25   3,439,750   21,946

Congrats on 5 years!!

I have my sites on someone...

Member----- Joined ----- Run time ----- Points ----- Results

ddragon64 ----- 01/13/2006 ----- 1:117:00:15:15 ----- 436,458 ----- 1,091

DaPoets ----- 09/03/2007 ----- 0:133:22:39:33 ----- 368,627 ----- 873

Edited by DaPoets

Last night while playing BF2 armored forces I was always the 1st in the map so I had the pick of the litter for what vehicle I wanted to whore out. It was interesting already being in a chopper capping a flag before anyone else on my side showed up. I just wish that the planes spawned right away like the choppers do. There is an apparent spawn delay for them on the armored fury maps w/ the =SF= server.

4drive Raid0 is sick for BF2.

Edited by DaPoets

I found the same to be true when I got my 74GB raptor back in the day playing UT or Quake. First to the RL...first to the frag limit. Now the 74 sits in the corner with the rest of the computer "junk"

That's how we should pick teams at the next LAN:

> 10 sec access time

vs

< 10 sec access time

I found the same to be true when I got my 74GB raptor back in the day playing UT or Quake. First to the RL...first to the frag limit. Now the 74 sits in the corner with the rest of the computer "junk"

That's how we should pick teams at the next LAN:

> 10 sec access time

vs

< 10 sec access time

I will take the 74GB off your hands if it is just siting in a pile of junk. ;)