nvidia 3-way SLI

B.Ob.

Nvidia Readies 3-Way SLI Technology

"Nvidia is stepping up efforts on getting 3-way SLI ready for launch on Nov 12th. However, to get 3-way SLI up and running, there are a few requirements. Firstly you need a 3-way SLI drivers. Secondly, you need either a 680i SLI or the upcoming 780a/780i SLI board with at least 3 PCIe x16 slots. Thirdly, you need either GeForce 8800 Ultra or GeForce 8800 GTX cards as these cards have 2 SLI connectors on each card. Even the upcoming G92 cards will not support since it has only 1 SLI connector. Fourthly, you would need a 3-way SLI bridge card."

LOL I just thought about using all 3 x1950pro's I'll have in my computer and wondered when the 3 way crossfire was going to happen...

But I don't think there are any games out there even in the making that could have any gain from a 3rd card. The physics cards were a good idea but I think it fizzled...

Yeah, with all the problem nvidia had getting SLI working on Vista, I'm kinda surprised they are doing this. Its not like their quad sli ever worked very well either, since most of the time it scored less that 2 card sli.

• 4 months later...

A brief look at three-way SLI

"What can I say? The picture isn't terribly rosy. In terms of performance, what we saw out of three-way SLI was more or less what we expected: that you'll need a 2560x1600 display in order to really realize the benefits of three GPUs. Even then, in none of the games we tested did we see a case where going from two cards to three made a real difference in terms of playability. (Going from 80 FPS to 95 FPS doesn't count.) The closest we came to that may have been Crysis, but that game seems to have its own performance scaling problems—at least at the "high" and "very high" settings—that involve factors other than the graphics subsystem alone. Perhaps, in some games, turning up antialiasing levels to 8X or 16X will help tease out some of the benefits of having a third GPU. That wasn't the case when we tried it in Half-Life 2: Episode Two, however."