Looking for : AMD 939 CPU or Mobo / CPU Combo. Cheap ;)

WarSpartan

Hello.

The cpu on my backup box got "dust fragged" yesterday. So if anyone has a amd socket 939 cpu they are no longer using and want to sell, or even a motherboard and cpu, I'd be interested. Let me know what you have and whats your price. Im newegg shopping right now and will pick up a cheap am2 board and 64x2 cpu otherwise. They are only running like $50'ish dollars on the cpu and between $30 and $70 on the mobo depending on name & features. So Im looking to beat out those prices if you got used and lower spec.

Wayne

Edited by WarSpartan

Only one unused here, but its a cpu m/b I've been meaning to work on to get up and running. Damn surgery....

Hope you find one. Yeah, the AM2's are dirt cheap on newegg, esp if you can get your hands on cheap ram too!

Nice call ont he cpu. I actually found that one the other night just after I posted so I was considering that as an option too.

Now however Im not sure if I should do a cpu only replacement. Long story was I went to turn o the comp and got nothing on the power switch. Opened it up, looked it all over quick was getting nothing on the power switch. Then I wiggled the heatsink on top of the cpu, and it started the bootup sequence once. So i powered it down, but then couldnt get it to power up at all after that. Even the wiggle didnt work. So stripped it down and found dust along the edges of the cpu. Not a ton, but some. So total cleaned the cpu and heatsink, blew out all the dust in on mobo & case, then reassembled with fresh AS5. Still nothing. Then tried pulling the mobo and and getting it to power without memory, with 2 sticks (though I didnt try just 1), using the case switch, using the onboard testing power switch, and clearing cmos. Still getting nothing - not even basic power up. The mobo has the ready LED's as on (yellow), but wont power period.

My gut reaction was the cpu was toast based on the dust I found around it and the fact that it did power for 1 run after the heatsink wiggle. However the more i read around the forums it lots of people end up having the mobo as the issue in this situation. So im somewhat at a loss as to whether to give a new cpu a try or just up and replace the whole core.

I do have a basic power supply tester and it shows all green. Im assuming the PS is fine.

So blah not sure where to go next with it. The 939 x2 above sounds like an ideal option if it is indeed the cpu only. But now im worried about the mobo possibility.

Any local shops do quick hardware checks ? lol

Besides CPU could be the caps on the board, you should chk if any of the tops of them are popping out at all, they have a "X" on the top of each of them that should be concaved in or flat and not at all bubbled out. That can cause all kinds of issues.

Yeah, you should at least be getting the spinning fan on the cpu heat sink. Did you re-seat the cpu (pull it completely out and put it back in) ? Caps are also good to check for, they should be flat on top, level (not tilted) and shiny.