What video cards?

Sacred

What video cards do you use and how is the performance with the games you play? Is it what you expected bettern then or were you disappointed.

Sacred,

I use an ATi x1900xtx pciE video card & it's an amazing card. Prior to that, I was running an ATI Radeon 9800 pro AGP. There's a difference between going from AGP to pciE & it's well worth going into pciE. Now, am I saying to go out & buy an x1900xtx?? No, only do that if U can afford to. There's other pciE cards out that offer good performance, so find the one that best suits your needs. AGP is a relic or soon to be, pciE is the way to go.

Hope that helps.

U missed a HECK of a good time @ the lan on Saturday. I hope to see you @ the Feb lan @ B.Ob's house.

-- Nem

Due to my recent divorce, I've been short on funds....and I expect to be rather short on funds for another 20 years or so....but I'm using a 9800XT, which seems to run everything great.

I was recently pricing out parts for a new machine, and from what I can see, I'm thinking about the x1800 for my future box, though as I said, it's gonna be a while, so my mind is very far from being made up on it....

AGP vs PCI-e is mute point. The same gpu will perform similarly on both (everything else being equal), its just AGP is getting old and phased out.

That said, I have the same card Nemesis and ParoxysM have, the x1900XTX 512Meg. Its a great card!! I can crank every setting to the max with 4xAA and 8xAF in every new game out currently, running on a 19" LCD @ 1280x1024.

If I was redoing a system from scratch, I would wait til summer when the 2nd release the of the Direct 10 cards come out.

What video cards do you use and how is the performance with the games you play? Is it what you expected bettern then or were you disappointed.

Sacred,

I use an ATi x1900xtx pciE video card & it's an amazing card. Prior to that, I was running an ATI Radeon 9800 pro AGP. There's a difference between going from AGP to pciE & it's well worth going into pciE. Now, am I saying to go out & buy an x1900xtx?? No, only do that if U can afford to. There's other pciE cards out that offer good performance, so find the one that best suits your needs. AGP is a relic or soon to be, pciE is the way to go.

Hope that helps.

U missed a HECK of a good time @ the lan on Saturday. I hope to see you @ the Feb lan @ B.Ob's house.

-- Nem

I know. I wanted to go to the LAN, wife and I went looking at houses then she had to go grocery shopping and I didn't feel well at that time. Something from dinner didn't agree with me I the. Not sure when I can get to a LAN new schedule start next week. I get Thursday and Friday off.

The biggest problem that I have is the card I want and the card I can afford are 2 different things. I don't need a card that runns all the games at max settings. My current card is a 6800 GS AGP. Its run all games very well on medium settings. I would like to get a card that will run the give me better performance than the 6800. I will be going PCIE since my AGP board bit the dust.

I would love to get an x1950 pro pcie. My wife asks me if I really need to spend 200.00 on a card. I guess not. I am not sure about the 1600 don't like the fact it is only 128 bit and the mem is ddr 2. I been considering 7600 gs or gt would also like an x1800 card but those are scarce now not sure why? I am waiting for the new ati cards to be released soon. I am hoping price will drop on the current cards at that time.

I been considering 7600 gs or gt would also like an x1800 card but those are scarce now not sure why? I am waiting for the new ati cards to be released soon. I am hoping price will drop on the current cards at that time.

x1800 card are scarce as they DO NOT MAKE THEM anymore, manufactures know exactly when to cut off production inorder to max profits, x1950Pro I doubt will fall much under $150. As with even the x1900XTX and x1950s they will be scarce even before they fall close to $200.

AGP vs PCI-e is mute point. The same gpu will perform similarly on both (everything else being equal), its just AGP is getting old and phased out.

That said, I have the same card Nemesis and ParoxysM have, the x1900XTX 512Meg. Its a great card!! I can crank every setting to the max with 4xAA and 8xAF in every new game out currently, running on a 19" LCD @ 1280x1024.

If I was redoing a system from scratch, I would wait til summer when the 2nd release the of the Direct 10 cards come out.

B.Ob. brought up a good point that I forgot to mention in my post to U, IF you can wait, then do so, the cards U are looking at now will fall in price as the new beasties come out & vendors will want to get rid of them to make room for the newer cards. If U can't, then U can try using ParoxysM's suggestion :toot:

-- Nem

B.Ob. brought up a good point that I forgot to mention in my post to U, IF you can wait, then do so, the cards U are looking at now will fall in price as the new beasties come out & vendors will want to get rid of them to make room for the newer cards. If U can't, then U can try using ParoxysM's suggestion :toot:

-- Nem

Considering the x850XT I had still goes for over $100 you are not going to see x1800XT or higher, x1900XT or higher, x1950s going for much less the $200 in the next year, if we even see them under $200 due to supply and demand.

I think a good rule of thumb is to spend $80 - $120 for every 6 months of use you want to get out of a card up to 2 years. Also the card you have still has use in it. If you are really looking to go as cheap as you can, get another 939 with AGP board, you will be better off then going with PCIe and a cheaper card. Then save up to do a full upgrade in 6 months.

Or sell the card, watch these: ebay1 and ebay2 to see what they end up going for.

Also, looking here I would think getting $100+ for your video card would be easy, which you could put toward a new one. If you get $100, and already had like $80 for a new video card, that would put you in the ballpark for a x1950 Pro.

With all this talk of x1950Pro.... How $200 Goes a Lot Further

"From the benchmark results, the Sapphire Radeon X1950 Pro Ultimate is a solid performing graphics card, and for around $210, it is a good buy. Graphics cards based on GeForce 7950GT are also a good buy. They are currently selling for $30-$40 more. You can find rebates on both card types, which will pull the cost down some. If you are very conscience with what's in your wallet, these will not steer you amiss."

very funny that would be overkill for me. trying to keep things under 300 for MB and GPU. preferreably closer to 200.00