X-Fi Issues Explored

B.Ob.

Sound Blaster X-Fi Issues Explored

"From our entire testing, the X-Fi generated crackling noises from 40% (2/5) of the motherboards. I’d consider it a high number because PCI cards are suppose to fit and work fully within the PCI specification. If this card fails to work on more than a single motherboard, the manufacturer should investigate and do something about it. I must say that the latest driver update has helped in reducing the frequency of these issues, and some motherboard manufacturers have released BIOS updates to fix the issue."

I thought they would do more than simply plugging it in and updating drivers. I've had this issue from day 1 in certain games with the same motherboard they tested without issue...'cause they tested the wrong games. I bet they could reproduce it with all the boards if tried hard enough.

I think the one time I had this issue bad, reinstalling in a new slot fixed it (Although I never put it back in the original slot to verify). Every other time I had this issue, it was not reproducable. I don't recall having this issue at all recently.

BF2 seems to be the biggest offender of the crackling issue, although they don't even tell you what games they tested it with the new article with the m/b's. :P