New flagship Athlon 64 X2 processors

AMD adds new flagship Athlon 64 X2 processors 5400+, 5600+

"For now, AMD's aging 90 nm "Toledo" core has to say of the forefront of the battle against Intel's Core 2 Duo, formerly code-named "Conroe". The new processors 5400+ and 5600+ use socket AM2 and increase the clock speed from 2.6 GHz of the 5000+/5200+ to 2.8 GHz. As previously, AMD uses different cache sizes for different performance ratings of its processors: The 5400+ has 1 MB L2 cache, the 5600+ 2 MB."

They have finally released what I've had my Opty running at for months now.... :welldone: Or at least it will be again, after my new p/s comes in. (backordered) :rtfm:

Glad I do not pay your electric bill Mr 700 Watt'er

Yeah, but I was happy with a 10-15% OC til I met you.... :rtfm: So I can squeeze more blood from a stone now!! Although the blood letting with my newest pc has killed 2 P/S's. :welldone:

• 2 weeks later...

AMD's 65nm Preview Part 2 - The Plot Thickens

"We didn't mention this in the original article, but all of AMD's 65nm CPUs are considered to be Energy Efficient (denoted by the letters EE in the table above). With its 90nm chips, AMD specifically selected lower voltage parts to be labeled as Energy Efficient, but right now all 65nm parts are. For the sake of simplicity, especially as we compare to older EE parts, we will simply refer to these chips as 65nm chips.

Note that the 65nm 4800+, 4400+ and 4000+ all use non-integer clock multipliers, a first for the Athlon 64 line. The implications for the end user are relatively minor, although it does mean that the model numbers will translate into more consistent performance graduations. In the past, having two chips running at the same clock speed but with different cache sizes meant that one would be faster only in those applications that could use the extra cache."

AMD's 65nm L2 cache looks to be slower

"Thus I found myself on the phone yesterday afternoon asking AMD about 65nm L2 cache latencies, possible performance differences, and why the Athlon 64 X2's die size was only reduced from 183mm² at 90nm to 126mm² at 65nm, a much smaller size reduction than expected, despite the transistor count estimate remaining steady at 153.8 million. The AMD rep to whom I was speaking didn't have much in the way of answers for me at the time, and he said that most of the people who would have those answers are already out on vacation for the holidays. But he did say that other folks had just been asking the same set of questions. Lo and behold, Anand published an article today discussing die size questions and increased L2 cache latencies on AMD's 65nm CPUs."