This forum is slow lately...

Did everyone lose their computer-based job and free interweb access?

Yeah, slower than I'd like, but what ya gonna do. I'll babble more in the mornin....

Ok, maybe if I mention, I'll finally get one the two reviews I have in the pipeline out by the end of the week......

Apparently I've been slow myself, as I had a couple issues, although really one, with my new system:

My headphones/mic would not work, first a hummy mic, then nothing, nor sound, looking in dm sound my x-fi in conflict. OK reseat card, and same dealy. Toss card in new slot, load drivers from cd (which were not the current drivers on the system) but worked and sound and mic were good again.

Now getting an odd MFC error upon boot for x-fi help. Never really noticed it was for the x-fi til later. System was working ok, or so i thought, so seemed time to jump from the 6.6 Cats to 6.9. Uninstall 6.6, reboot, install 6.9, reboot. Now UT2k4 and Q4 won't run (crash to desktop with any errors), unable to test any other FPSs due to the state of my DVD drive currently. Ugh.... Oddly Company of Heroes still works fine... :o

Assuming it was something with my vid card and/or drivers, uninstall 6.9, reboot, install 6.8, same deal. Decide to go back to 6.6, uninstall 6.8, reboot, run Driver Cleaner, reboot, install 6.6, reboot, same. ARGH.... Hmmm, what other app can I try, 3dMark06... It runs fine and pooped out a score of 5901.

Finally really READ the mfc error upon boot and see its for the xfi (ati CCC has you load .NET for it, so I just assumed it was vid card related) :doh:

Get the newest drivers, actually dated Sept 06, for the x-fi, install, tell it to get rid of anything it did not like, and reboot. And the killer PC is back and working as it should!!! With exception of the DVD which should get resolved later this week.

While reading a thread on beyond3d.com, i came across an interesing comment: "The more I read this thread, the more I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe" and seems to be fit my above story.