LanReady 10/100/1000Mbps Adapter

PurSuiT

Hmmm, that looks like the onboard Realtek gigabit chip I've seen on a couple of motherboards.... Now i gotta go thru some reviews and find it... :):angry:

It certainly has the Realtek logo on it if I have the wrong chip. If I got the right chip, it has a nice 64k buffer on it, like the Intel, and HAS the tcp/ip checksum offload!!! :)

"The RTL8169S is fully compliant with Microsoft® NDIS5 (IP, TCP, UDP) Checksum and Segmentation Task-offload features, and supports IEEE 802.1Q Virtual bridged Local Area Network (VLAN). The above features contribute to lowering CPU utilization, especially benefiting performance when in operation as a server network card."

RTL8169S-32/64 Single-Chip Gigabit NIC Ethernet Controller info here

Realtek data sheet: here

33-133-104-03.JPG

realtek-big.jpg

Or here for bitmap image.

Inspecting the picture closer, it appears to end with 169S-32, so it looks like a match!! :)

I see the differences now

Intel Pro/1000 MT

33-106-118-03.JPG

LanReady LA-1000

33-133-104-03.JPG

Trendware/Trendnet Gigabit TEG-PCITXM

33-156-131-02.JPG

Most sites now do not even list the 2 chip design anymore, looks like all the manufactures switched to the 1 chip design.

Netgear still kept the heatsink though...

NETGEAR Gigabit GA302T

33-122-113-03.JPG

Hmmm, the Trendware uses the (I think) Marvel gigabit chip, which didn't offer any CPU offloading. I wonder what chipset the Netgear card uses?

I like the Netgear box: "More throughput than the competition". I wonder what they consider their competition, other giga-bit nics, or the old skewl 10/100 cards!! :)

Netgear FAQs

#3 Question: Does the GA302T have TCP/IP Checksum offload?

Answer: Yes, for those operating systems that support it (Windows Me, Windows 2000), the drivers for the GA302T do support Checksum offload. With this enabled, the adapter performs the cycle-intensive process of calculating the CRC, instead of the host CPU, thereby improving overall system performance.

Hmmm...  very interesting read.  So now the question is this...  is the LanReady GigaNIC just as good as the Intel GigaNIC that U & Pursuit are running OR am I better off w/ the actual Intel GigaNIC??

-- Nem

Impossible to say without at least a few reviews out there, or trying it ourselves. The biggest IF is whether or not the offloading is exposed in the drivers, and really works. Certainly from the Netgear card, that seems to be announcing they have that feature, so I would expect them to have the driver ready for that. Funny that Netgear didn't mention WinXP thou, just WinME and Win2000. :) Personally, since I have 3 Intel 1000/MT's already, I like staying with the same driver set.

I am seeing a pattern here:

Aopen AOG-501K (Same Chip LanReady)

33-157-019-04.JPG

EDIMAX EN-9230TX-32 (Same Chip LanReady)

33-315-005-07.JPG

ZONET ZEN3300E (Same Chip LanReady) (In fact same card as above)

33-130-103-02.JPG

Linksys EG1032 (Same Chip as Trendware/Trendnet)

33-124-120-03.JPG

Hmmm, sounds like computer monitors..... :) Except they have to write drivers for these nics, unless the chipset manufacturers have a baseline driver set already complete.

spoiler:

"After testing these cards I am very impressed. The price and performance show that Gigabit is here for everyone; something that would have been unheard of as little as a year ago. If you are in the market for a new NIC, and even if your current switch is only 10/100, I would recommend taking a look at these NIC's. For the price of only $25.00, which is just about the same price as 3COM 10/100, about $8 - $10 higher than the mid-level manufacturers, and less than anyone else's 10/100/1000 NIC's; you simply can not go wrong with this card."

Not bad for the price, I'll stick with my Intel for now....