Prey - The big crunch

B.Ob.

Prey - The big crunch

"I'm not talking about a certain unhealthy sugary cereal with a ship's stumpy captain as a mascot...I'm talking about the 14 hour days developers put in near a project's end to shine-up our games before that inevitable looming date when we must hand over the gold master to our publisher. Even us "when-it's-done" studios have such dates -- we just do not make them public until the very end. It's impossible to avoid deadline dates nowadays, because there's so much coordinated pre-planning and marketing that must be created and purchased (magazine ads, banners, marketing events, etc.) in order to maximize the anticipation and awareness of your game's release.

Testing of the game is non-stop. And there's always a rush to improve last second elements and add in last second ideas that might have a significant impact. It's during this final race to the finish that a game takes leaps and bounds every week, with every new build, as it all comes flying together like an exploding jigsaw puzzle played in reverse. There are two phases I love most about game development, the beginning conceptual phase, where the direction is set, characters created, gameplay hooks devised, and then the last few months, when it all comes together and you finally see the results of years of hardcore effort.

We will soon release a three minute trailer of Prey. I'll post the details of where the trailer will debut as soon as I know. We're working with a major game site for the debut. We took a little bit of a different direction with this trailer, and I'm curious to see reactions. The trailer opens with live action footage, to help ground the character. A lot of people who've seen the trailer don't like this aspect of it, but I think it works well. In a few days, we'll all see how it pans out, reaction-wise."

The trailer spoken of can be downloaded here: Prey Super Trailer

Prey Pre-Order Program Announced - Game Ships July 10th

"The Limited Collector's Edition is available for both the Xbox 360 and PC editions of Prey and includes a special metal packaging upgrade, two die-cast pewter figurines including the lead character Tommy and the alien Hunter, a free download to a Prey soundtrack, and "The Art of Prey" book featuring collected conceptual and development images from the artists behind Prey. In addition, the PC Limited Collector's Edition will include an upgrade to DVD media from CD-ROM."