Need some help.

Sacred

Wife and are getting our tax refund soon. Getting a nice chunk from federeal. Wife asked me if there is anything that I need or want. So I started thinking about my computer. My case is about 5 years old has served me well.

I could use a new case. Been thinking about an aluminum case. having trouble finding a decent one. Would like one with the specs of the case Nemesis has. I have also been thinking about upgrading to 2 gigs memory. I have had trouble getting computer stable at 1 t. Not sure if I should sell the memory I have now and just get 2- 1 gig sticks.

Would like some input on this dilemna I have. I am also thinking that maybe I should have gotten the 7800 gs agp. Would it be worth to trade in my 6800 for the 7800. I would just need to pay the difference in price which would be about 175.00 I think.

here are my specs.

AMD 3500 Venice

Epox 9nda3j MB

6800 GS 256 AGP

1 gig Crucial 3200 ram 2 x 512 single sided. 2t

Antec Smartpower 2.0 450 watt psu

2 harddives

Dvd rom Lite on BenQ

DVD-RW BenQ 1640

It's not that bad of a system...not sure what you play/do with it. I had issues with my HyperX RAM and epox board...it would run 2-2-2-5 @ 217, but crashed all the time. I ditched the board since the RAM cost 2x as much.

Words of advice...

If your going to upgrade your video card, go pci-ex. You'll have to get a new mobo too, but in the long run you'll save when your looking to upgrade your gpu again in a couple years. That and agp is headed out the door anyway. You'll have to buy a new cpu to go with that mobo. There are a couple agp/pci-ex boards out there if you wanted to do that, but it just seems pointless to me. And the agp/pci-ex boards are all newer cpu sockets(939, 940), if I'm not mistaken. Its almost a full upgrade to get into pci-ex.

Ram. If your even considering 2 gigs, get it. Don't screw yourself later on when you get a gig now and then decide to get another gig later. Not having matched pairs of gig sticks in your pc can kill you. Ask me about that sometime, I did that with my older system, stupid, stupid, stupid. Ram can be moved to a newer system which is helpful.

There's just too many things to consider when upgrading. IMO, I'd get the 2gig of ram right now and hold off on everything else for another year. You still have a good gpu and cpu. You should be able to get another good year out of both.

For your case, I strongly suggest you look for something that has room for 120mm fans. Ask Nem about his case, those 80mm fans make it damn loud. I've got 2 120s for pushing air in and out and the stock 80mm on the cpu is louder than both. For the most part, don't even conside a case with 80mm fans. :blink:

Dragon

When looking for a new case, you're honestly best off getting an Aluminum case, settle for nothing less, U'll thank me later for it. The mistake I made with my case is I didn't get one w/ 120 fans, just 80's. They are quite noisy & I will never do that again. The case itself is very solid & easy to work with, which is why it has stayed w/ me for as long as it has. Also make sure to grab yourself a case that sports the "tool-less" option, makes it much easier to work with. Here's a link for my present case to give U an idea of what to look for ( except for the FANS!!! )...

Nemesis's Case

Motherboards... I'm an ASUS fan, they haven't steered me wrong yet. I know B.Ob. likes Abit, maybe even Sapphire as well & recently Dragon has become a DFI fan. Stick w/ any of these & U should be fine. Just MAKE SURE it's a board that has PCIe, not AGP. That tech is on it's way out, no need to cling to the past.

Ram... I tend towards Corsair, very well made. And believe it or not, I definitely agree w/ Dragon, if U are entertaining ANY thoughts about 2gigs, go for it, U'll be better off for it.

DVD Burner: I use Lite-On & Plextor.

Video Cards: I like ATi & plan on getting one of their heavy hitters very soon.

Being that U like nVidia & U have the $$ coming your way & U can do a Trade-In, I would personally go for the better card, like the 7800 gtx PCIe.

Hope this helps!

-- Nem

Bang for the buck list:

Case - Antec or Lian Li

PSU - any that weight at least 5lbs and 500W

Motherboard - Abit, Asus or DFI

CPU - AMD

HSU - any one over $35 with at least 92mm fan

Video - Ati

Ram - any tested and matched pairs costing over $150

Hard drive - Western Digital

Burner - Liteon or Nec

I think I will just get 2--1 gig sticks. I have gone thru some of the forums there seems to be a known issue with the board that I learned a few months after I bought that you cannot run at 1T. not that big a deal though.

This http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820145579 memory is 140 for 2-- 1 gig sticks Corsair too.

I think I will just get 2--1 gig sticks. I have gone thru some of the forums there seems to be a known issue with the board that I learned a few months after I bought that you cannot run at 1T. not that big a deal though.

This http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820145579 memory is 140 for 2-- 1 gig sticks Corsair too.

Sacred,

General rule of thumb, AVOID any memory w/ the name of "Value" or "Value Select" in it.

Here's what I would grab based on what U are looking for...

Corsair XMS

It has a nice rebate to it as well :blink:

Enjoy!!

-- Nem

I have the Titaninum version sitting in my pc right now. I've been real happy with OCZ since I bought some for my old machine. I've got DDR500 coming to me soon. I had to send back the DDR500 I had cause it was producing errors. We'll see how the new set does, but I'm sure it was just the luck of the draw with the last set.

I'll be selling the Titaninum stuff I have when I get the DDR500 back, so if your interested in going that way, look me up. :blink:

Dragon