ATI RD580

Live from Taiwan: ATI RD580 Motherboards

Asus A8R32-MVP Deluxe: First ATI RD580

ASUS A8R32-MVP Deluxe

"ATI has produced a solid, stable, and feature-rich solution in the CrossFire Xpress 3200 chipset. ASUS has taken the CrossFire Xpress 3200 chipset and turned it into a steadfast motherboard packed with enthusiast features that work, and work well. If you are looking to utilize a CrossFire video card configuration, there is no doubt that this is the motherboard to own."

ATI's Crossfire Xpress 3200 Chipset Takes Off

"ATI's new Crossfire Xpress 3200 is a newcomer that does not fail to impress from a technical point of view, but is somewhat ambiguous. On the one hand, the RD580 is a great core logic product that manages to outperform its Nvidia arch rival in many disciplines, simply due to being the more advanced and more sophisticated Northbridge product. 16 PCIe lanes per port are great, and having these inside one piece of silicon is the best possible solution. (Nvidia would seem to agree, since its C51 will not be very different.) Performance is not an issue anyway, since all Athlon 64 core logic products perform more or less alike. Given that multi-lane PCI Express logic is power hungry, the power consumption numbers of the RD580-equipped Asus A8R32-MVP look pretty good, and the overclocking margins that are possible move the new building block into enthusiast heaven."

Asus's A8R32-MVP Deluxe motherboard

"Asus has taken this core logic combo and spun it successfully into a high-end motherboard that is every bit the equal of its own A8N32-SLI Deluxe. The layout is solid, if occasionally cramped like any high-end ATX mobo, and the BIOS exposes enough tweaking options to satisfy most enthusiasts. Quiet computing freaks will probably miss the kind of extensive fan speed control available on Abit's newer boards, and they might wish to have better control over overclocking with Cool'n'Quiet enabled like some DFI mobos provide. But the A8R32-MVP Deluxe more or less makes up for those shortcomings by simply consuming way less power than the A8N32-SLI Deluxe—and likely other nForce4 SLI X16-based motherboards."\

ASUS A8R32-MVP Deluxe Socket 939 ATI CrossFire Radeon XPRESS 3200 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail - $229.99

Be interesting to see how 2 x1600XTs perform for ya.... That is an AWESOME price!! Don't let bobsbrat see that...

I will probably get this board once it drops below $200. I ordered 2 1600xt tonight for cheap to mess with.

1600xt.jpg

I went to order 15 minutes later... ...and outta stock! If you get those cards actully shipped, I should have waited to take WhyWee out and ordered now! DAMN! For that price the dog could have pissed on the floor and I would have been happy to clean it up.

• 4 weeks later...

Sapphire PURE CrossFire A9RD580 Review

"The A9RD580 has something every board should have—onboard power and reset buttons. While this may not be too useful when the board is in a case it’s very useful when you want to POST and test the board before installing it in a case. Sapphire has also equipped the A9RD580 with four SATAII ports by employing two Silicon Image Sil3132 SATAII controllers—all four ports are capable of RAID 0, 1, and JBOD."

• 2 weeks later...

IT'S HERE.....

DFI Lanparty UT CFX3200-DR ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail - $224.99

That was the m/b I was waiting for, but I'm VERY happy with my DFI LanParty UT RDX200 CF-DR!!!

Also, there is the ABIT AT8 32X ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail - $172.99

For those looking, there is a SAPPHIRE PC-A9RD580Adv also for sale on newegg - $134.50.

And here is the first review I've seen of the new DFI m/b:

DFI LANParty UT CFX3200-DR review

"We think that it might be if you're looking for the ultimate overclocker's motherboard based on ATI CrossFire technology. The board is solid, well built, reasonably stable and is pretty overclockable too. The BIOS is great and is a tweaker's heaven. We feel that it needs to mature a little to allow for more overclocking headroom. You should start to see more of this board's potential ooze out in the bucket load as more BIOS revisions come out."