Issues with gaming and dual core CPUs

PurSuiT

If these current patches are any indication, there are plenty of problems out there:

SS2 patch 2.066.00

Fixed wrong profiler timings under dual-core CPUs.

Call of Duty 2 retail patch v1.01 HTT

This Call of Duty 2 update is recommended for Windows 2000/XP users with Intel Hyper-Threading Technology (HT Technology) enabled processors, multiple processors, or systems with a dual core processor.

QUAKE 4 1.0.5 BETA

This update is recommended for Windows users with Intel Hyper-Threading Technology (HT Technology) enabled processors, multiple processors, or systems with a dual core processor.

Hopefully all/more developers have dual-core systems to develope/test on so we don't see these issues show up anymore.

Is this a user issue? You are the only person I know that has a dual core and this issues...

Yes you are correct I am the only person you know with a x2, I do not think I am the only one with this issue in the world though, just found a 5 page thread about it on Anandtech Forums about a MS patch that does not get applied through windows updated from back in October.

This hotfix also addresses the following issues on computers that have multiple processors that support processor performance states:

• Possible decrease in performance on single-threaded workloads when processor performance states are using demand-based switching.

• Makes sure that synchronization of the processor Time Stamp Counter (TSC) registers across processors if the processor TSC uses the ACPI Power Management timer.

• Corrects ACPI C-state promotion and demotion issues in the kernel power manager.

Right from Microsoft

"Computers that are running Windows XP Service Pack 2 and that are equipped with multiple processors that support processor power management features may experience decreased performance"

...to add to the game list. Battle Field 2 fixed this issue with the v1.03 Patch

Glad I didnt upgrade yet to hardware that doesnt work iamwithstupid.gif

It is not the hardware that does not work, it is a software issue. Bad OS and game development, you read any of the above links? ;) WindowsXP is designed to have control of the CPUs power management with no pretty GUI option like you are used too to turn it off. With dual cores and hyper-threading this is done within the chip. The symptoms are less pronounced on HT's as the 2nd CPU is just a virtual CPU that is really just using unused cycles from the first CPU.

The patch seemed to fix the issue.

• 1 month later...

...well I am still looking for a solution that works but here is one more.

Need for Speed: Most Wanted Issues

"Dual-Core CPU Issues"

"If you run a dual core CPU, such as a Pentium D or AMD X2, or even a Pentium 4 with HyperThreading, you may notice that the game is quite jerky even at high framerates. "