Ut Servers Etc Etc

bobsbrat

I have a question to pose to the almighty UT players.

I have heard rumors where people actually rent bandwidth to have online games. What's the deal with this? Does anybody out there know how this works?

This is on a NEED to know basis and I NEED to know :rolleyes:

:):lol::D

Being that U are using the services of Adelphia, you're pretty much stuck @ what U have for the moment, unless U wish to pay some more for a slightly increased upload cap. The extra bandwidth costs $30 more for normal customers, but I'm not sure what the hit is for employees. The speed increase isn't all that special either but would allow for a few more people than usual to connect to U to play whatever game U are hosting. I believe @ present U start to see LAG when 4 or more people connect to U, this would basically double that.

Adelphia was looking to have a "gaming" package where U would pay extra cashola that would really increase your upload speeds for hosting games, but that hasn't seen the light of day yet & who knows if it will.

So basically, the short & sweet of it is what your ISP offers. Unless of course U want to have your server "hosted" by someone else, then you use what speeds they have available & pay their prices on top of what U currently pay w/ your exsisting ISP. I believe one such company that "rents" bandwidth & will "host" a server for U is Macronet, but I don't know for sure.

Hope this helps.

-- Nem :rolleyes:

So basically, the short & sweet of it is what your ISP offers. Unless of course U want to have your server "hosted" by someone else, then you use what speeds they have available & pay their prices on top of what U currently pay w/ your exsisting ISP. I believe one such company that "rents" bandwidth & will "host" a server for U is Macronet, but I don't know for sure.

I'm looking for info on how much it costs to host a server on another connection as your last paragraph states, but I also would like to know how much bandwidth you get for your price and is this a 24hr a day 7 day a week thing etc etc etc.

I don't want to know nuttin about adelphia prices :rolleyes: