Starcraft 2 Beta

So, I've been playing the starcraft 2 beta a bit. I enjoyed the original and brood war quite a bit back in the day as a easy-to-play RTS.

I have mixed feelings about SC2. It's almost exactly the same as the first one.

Hold up, I realize that blizzard was pretty much locked into that. There are a lot of die hard fans of the the original, and of course the whole Korean thing. So they couldn't do anything radically different, and risk losing the fans.

Nor should they have. Why mess with a good thing, right? They've basically updated the graphics and done some well needed tweaks to the mechanics and units. So it feels like starcraft, but a little new.

And yet...if you truly looked at the original starcraft with fresh eyes, it was a pretty derivitive RTS. After playing Age of Empires, Dark Reign, etc., you could pick up Starcraft no problem. Because the mechanics and such were very similar.

I'm not bashing it, it was fine for the time.

But we've grown since then.

It feels not like a great refresh of a classic....it feels like I'm playing a game from the 90's with fresh graphics. The camera view is still myopic. You're practically peeking out from Kerrigan's halter top. I can't imagine the Overmind ever conquering anything with such a limited field of view.

And still only 5 unit queues? No repeat function? no camera zoom out? Heavy resource management? Emphasis on micromanagement?

Don't get me wrong--its fine, and I'll buy it-but when compared with a modern RTS, say Supreme commander, it just shows that it isn't a Real Time Strategy game--It's a Real Time Tactical game. And that's dated.

Edited by experimental jason