need help installing Serial ATA II HD

I just installed a brand new HD...hitachi 80gb serial-ata II 300Gb/sec. I need to know what I have to do in order to get it working correctly as I think win XP is reading it as an IDE drive. In the BIOS it is installed/config'd correctly but not in the OS, the driver is from 2001 that it is currently using as S-ATA II drives wern't around then.

Do I have to install it from the Win XP setup CD, after I boot from CD to install the OS, when it asks for you to press F6 if you have any 3rd party drivers to be installed?

I hope it doesn't mean I have to reconfig/reinstall the OS itself and any other software I added.

i'm gonna try manually adding it right now through Add/remove hw and see if XP SP2 has the drivers added, or any other updates.

thx,

kev

Right click My Computer and left click on Manage, then go down to Disk Management. If the new drive shows there, you just need to create partition and/or format.

If it does not show in there, then you might need the driver for your SATA controller. If so, it should show in device manager with a (!) on it. If that is true, you should have the driver on the CD and/or floppy that came with your motherboard.

Let us know....

If it shows in disk management, then there are no additional drivers needed. SATA controllers show under SCSI as I recall.... Can tell ya for sure when i get home...

hrmm, well if that's so i may return my SATA harddrive and just use IDE...my benchmark 05 scores were the same with both drives...around 4000, i thought having a SATA hd would make a big difference. well i repaired my XP install and added a few drivers during bootup (pressing f6). only diff now is that there are diff channel names under ata/atapi devices in device manager.

well i guess the next step is to add RAM :/

i have an ati x800gt 256ram & 1 gig of system ram

what's frustrting though is that hitahci sent no info/instructions with the SATA drive, just drive

thx for the help Bob

kev

Anytime.... Wow, sounds like a nice system shaping up there for ya!!!

Yep, I was correct, for my m/b anyway, which has a seperate chip for the SATA controller. It shows under SCSI and RAID controllers.

SATA is more a future proof purchase than IDE!! Hard drives are NOT fast enough to fill a 100mb or 133mb IDE channel yet, so the exact same hd won't be better on a SATA (150mb)or SATA II (300mb) connection. BUT.... IDE is slowing going away, and SATA drives seem to finally be the same price or cheaper than there IDE counterparts. Not to mention, with SATA, although you only get one device per cable, there are no jumpers to fiddle with and those cables are SO much nicer than IDE cables!

Both my HDs in this system are SATA, and I won't be buying an IDE HD again, unless someone drops a free one in my lap....