Barton With Pc266 Memory?!

B.Ob.

Question of the week:

I have an Abit NF7 (nForce 2 Ultra 400) with 2 sticks of DDR266 (PC2100) 512Meg CL2.5 RAM. Can I pop out my Athlon XP Palimino 2000+ and put in a Barton 2500+ (which runs on a FSB of 333) and have it work ok with the memory I have?

For what its worth, my motherboard already is running in Dual DDR mode with the current RAM. Side note: this motherboard offered a significant performance boost over my old VIA 266A motherboard.

Question of the week:

I have an Abit NF7 (nForce 2 Ultra 400) with 2 sticks of DDR266 (PC2100) 512Meg CL2.5 RAM. Can I pop out my Athlon XP Palimino 2000+ and put in a Barton 2500+ (which runs on a FSB of 333) and have it work ok with the memory I have?

For what its worth, my motherboard already is running in Dual DDR mode with the current RAM. Side note: this motherboard offered a significant performance boost over my old VIA 266A motherboard.

Isn't Pursuit already using that model board w/ the exception of it also supporting SATA ( nf7-s ) w/ a Barton Chip in it w/ nothing but praise for it?! I honestly don't see any reason why U can't. I'll go ahead & post my findings for this motherboard in my next post.

-- Nem

Here's the LINK below for the Abit NF7 Motherboard...

http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/produc...ories=1&model=8

"The NF7, based on nForce2 chipset (MCP + SPP), supports the latest AMD Athlon XP, Barton™ processors with 200/266/333 FSB, and features new dual 400MHz DDR memory controllers that deliver up to a 50% increase in bandwidth. With the nForce™2 MCP. the APU (Audio Processing Unit) delivers cinematic-quality sound and 3D positional audio to your home PC. With cutting-edge features and ABIT Engineering, the NF7 series is the ultimate multimedia platform for the world."

-->> That was taken right from the write-up of the board.

I would have to say that U have very little to worry about. The board shows support for both the cpu & ram U are using. Hope this helps.

-- Nem ;)

My biggest concern is that the Barton runs with a 333 FSB, where the memory I have is just 266, but because of the nForce2 Ultra 400, its running in Dual DDR mode, so would I have to get 333+ memory to get the full potential out of the Barton?

I would have to wager an educated guess that U'll need better RAM to truly get the performance boost that U are looking for. The RAM you have now should work fine, but it will hinder U to the bus speed it works at, so I doubt U'll see the "Full Potential" of it anytime soon. Keep your eyes open for RAM deals on www.pricewatch.com OR watch for it thru the channels that U prefer. I've gotten alot of my PC parts from there w/ no issues @ all & the prices were awesome. I've referred others to pricewatch & it hasn't steered them wrong either. Hope this helps OR @ least confirms what U already suspected ;)

-- Nem :lol:

May or may not have an issue... What type of RAM is it... PC2100 (133Mhz) at min should be able to run at PC2400 (150Mhz) Speed... If not, on the NF7 board the multiplier is unlocked, so you can always raise that to make up for it until you can get some new RAM... Serveral examples: 11*166=1826(stock) 14*133=1862Mhz (OC w/ 133FSB) 12*150=1800 (OC w/ 150FSB). I currently am running 11.5*202=2323Mhz w/ corsair XMS PC3200.. Hope this was helpful! ;)

• 2 months later...