Doom³ Requirements

Here is the official word on the minimum system configuration you'll need to run Doom³.

1GHz CPU

256MB RAM

GF1 or Radeon 7xxx series card

Most of us went PAST this a while ago, but for those that have other secondary machines might be interested.

I couldn't help but laugh @ those requirements. Who does ID think they're kinding?! With all that is so "cutting-edge" with this game, low end pc's will simply choke & gag just trying to process all that is going on!!!

Here's what I think U would REALLY need to play Doom3....

1.4 GHz cpu

512mb ddram ( I don't think SDRAM will cut it to well )

Geforce2 w/ 64mb ram or higher ( more realistically a Geforce3 + )

OR

Ati Radeon 8500 w/ 64mb ram +

Anything less would simply be uncivilized :D

I would also wager that the above requirements will also true for running Half-Life 2. I honestly couldn't tell U what to expect for Duke Nukem Forever since it consistantly fails to be "Released" <<-- sorry B.Ob. :blink:

-- Nem

Yep, you'd definately need at least a GF3 or ATI 8500 to see ALL the goodies in Doom3 or HL2!! MaximumPC has a good article this month on which video cards will show you what in Halflife 2. A good read!!! (as all their stuff is!!)

As for Duke4ever, the only official word were its requirements would be STEEP, but as I recall they said a 2GHz+ and a ATI 9700 PRO would probably run it nicely.

• 2 weeks later...

Pursuit,

I honestly don't see any reason why that card won't hold U over till U are ready to get a new one. Heck, since I'm planning on keeping my ATi Radeon 8500 till @ least start of next year w/ all the games that are coming out, U should be fine. My card has held up rather well to the latest bout of games that I have assaulted it with & has done a rather nice job of holding its own. With ATi getting ready to release a new line of cards yet again very soon, the prices on the 2 cards I'm watching from them should keep falling closer & closer to my price range :)

-- Nem

• 3 weeks later...

So how long will my Radeon9000 last me? HOw much more intense can the games be? I havent tried 1942 or HL on here, but UT 2003 works fine, takes a long time to load levels. Then again, UT ran fine on my AMD K6-2 400mhz way back when, lagged a little in multiplayer and I couldnt set the res very high without the vid freaking out....then again, that was only a rage pro 16meg card.

I feel like i'm talking about the last century, ancient equipment.....hey, that was the last century...hehe

Are there any reasonably priced 256mg cards out yet? B)

Any 256 Megs out there you can expect to last you would only be the nVidia GeForce FX 5900 or ATI 9800 PRO, which are mega bucks. >$400

vidcard price: how long you can expect it to last

under $100: 6 months, assuming it currently usable for the games you play

$150-$200: a year to 18 months

>$300: 18-24 months

The above assumes you want to always want to play the newest greatest games out there. Yes, its an expensive hobby!

I agree, those are some good points. The video card "hobby" is definitely quite expensive to allow one to keep up w/ the current trend of "new features" in games that require the newest ver of DirectX to run. I plan on simply saving up for a while & then buying as close to a top of the line card as possible.

-- Nem B)