Nvidia Vs Ati

B.Ob.

So, which is the better chipset?

nVidia:

- frequent stable driver updates (except lately)

- console experience (X-Box)

- come on, its the Empire!!!

ATI:

- frequent but historically poor drivers (except lately)

- console experience (Game Cube)

- the underdog

Mr. Nemesis.... can we please keep to the subject... :P

I'd still be hard-pressed to give up my nVidia card for an ATI card....

Perhaps I'm just a loyal nVidia fanboy.... :blink:

Paul has had problem running SimCity4 with his 9700PRO.... B)

It was kinda of disturbing to see texture issues with the FX card, but we'll see what it is like after its released...

All I know is that at the last LAN party at Bob's house a couple of weeks ago, I showed a few of the guys there Morrowind, and their jaws hit the floor when they saw how amazing it looked with my TI4600. I've been on the Morrowind forums a couple of times, and alot of 9700 owners complained of graphic anomolies during the game, or the water not looking right sometimes in the game. I've never had any problems like that, and Morrowind isn't the only game that uses those rendering techniques. In fact most of the best games coming out now use all that high tech fancy rendering stuff, and I'm just glad that I'm not having any trouble playing any of them, or having to worry about errors during games because of technical issues with my video card, like alot of ATI owners are.

Later,

Gix (Brian)

Hmmm... I'm only running an ATi Radeon 8500 & have yet to have any issues w/ it no matter the game I play. Unfortunately, this is a subject that can be talked about for ages on end w/ neither side backing down. Each card has their pros & cons. It's ultimately a matter of what U feel comfortable with in the end. I know people who are just like me & haven't had any issues w/ ATi cards, while there are those who do. nVidia definitely has a solid driver dbase, but ATi is now back into the swing of things and is doing an excellent job w/ their drivers as well, whereas 2 yrs ago they weren't any competition to nVidia at all. Times are changing & only time will tell. I myself would not hesitate throwing my $$$ into an ATi card.

-- Nem

Perhaps it just shows that even though ATIs drivers are MUCH better... When ever you play the newest games with the newest hardware, you have to expect problems sometimes! (Gasp, I didn't put down ATI, am I feeling well? B) )

Unless it was developed on that card, nVidia, *cough*. Ok, I feel better now.... (( :blink: ))

nVidia:

- frequent stable driver updates (except lately)

ATI:

- frequent but historically poor drivers (except lately)

Let me just highlight the ONLY important part of this arguement.

You forgot to bold out the part "(except lately)"

:ph34r::blink::P:D

ATI better for dvd output and ok gaming.

Nvidia best for gaming in specific not known for its TV output.

OK the new ATI is supposed to be better in the various video benchmarks.

I don't have one and morrowind does run great on my MSI Nvidia G3 Ti200 I wouldn't get rid of it just put it in another system.

Does anyone here have the new ATI card How's it working for ya?

Sticking to:

Nvidia best for gaming in specific not known for TV output.

ATI better for dvd output and gaming apps.

Both are way better than any built in onboard video;it depends on what your using the card for Nvidia gaming and ATI gaming plus TV out.

What's your thoughts?

We've owned both and the AIW series from ATI has it all-over nVidia's Personal Cinema (nPC) series. Of course it didn't help nPC that you could only get it mated to a GF2 MX400, where the AIW you can get all the way up to their current top of the line card!!

Mary should post also, as she has used it a lot more than I have... (being in her machine and all.... :ph34r:)