Tribes Vengeance Beta...

http://www.tribesvengeance.com/us/

Im in the closed beta (shhh...before I violate NDA). It's built on the Unreal engine (which sucks IMO). It plays smooth and looks good, but Tribes was the most scriptable game evar!! Now Im stuck with crappy alias bindings and | pipes|. The Beta only has 4 maps...all of which are CTF. The other games types dont work and other 20 maps are unselectable. All armor classes can deploy turrets, but inventory stations are built differently, so it's kinda ghey. You can only carry 1 mine at a time too...that blowz. "Skiiing" is built into the game. Basically you hop down a hill to gain speed and jetpack up the next slope. Rinse and repeat.

If you've ever played the renegades/annihilator mods, some of those features are incorprated into this release. There are jump pads, multi-scoring system, mid-air disk shot recognition, etc. It will also track stats, but not like UT. More detailed and some pertains to the physics of the game like fastest maintained speed. I could write forever about this game, but Im trying to do some real work too.

Currently there are only 6 servers up and 5 are west coast, so I have to play with 150 ping :(

Ill answer whatever questions you guys have, just post 'em.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do they have a timeframe for completion?

One mine, that sound suspicious, like they are just testing that code. Are they incorporating the UT2k4 patches?

They dont have all that UT "fluff" code...no cheat protection, no voice crap, no enhanced networking code, etc. Tribes is balls-to-the-wall outside running/skiing/flying action...I played the beta soo much, my bladder still hurts at work :(

The lack of voice junk is surely a good thing! I'm not convinced the dynamic networking in 2k4 is any better than 2k3 but probably a necessary evil for the vehicles.

They have things to ease the bladder situation. Depends I think they are called.... :(

Anyone see this: Tribes: Vengeance Beta Update even shows a screenshot!! :cheer:

I think this is my fav so far: Tribes3 screenshot

"As armed combat is a big part of the game, some of the weapons have received a slight change. Most notable is the spinfusor, which now has a larger blast radius and tosses players back with much more force than before. Even if you don't get a good direct hit on someone, you can still change their path dramatically with a closely placed disc hit. Rockets, on the other hand, now have a smaller blast radius, but they do a bit more damage. Nearly all of the weapons have been given a slight tweak here an there, whether it be to their damage, speed or accuracy, and I'm sure we'll see even more tweaks as the beta continues."

The vehicles need to be balanced. The jumptank (as pictured in last link) suks ass. You cant move the turret independently of the tank itself, so basically you steer with the keys and the mouse...retarded. Plus is has semi-homing/auto-aim missles that lock onto non-existent targets.

I can see why the Beta was closed...

Tribes: Vengeance Preview

"This mission is a series of progressively harder challenges. First up are vicious Glorax, savage animals from the Imperial menagerie. After dispatching them, Dan sends one of his squad to man a nearby turret. He needs to keep an eye on the health of the turret and make any necessary repairs as the next wave of attackers, a squad of Blood Eagles in this case, appears."

Tribes: Vengeance Designer Diary

"To start, a quick update. Tribes: Vengeance multiplayer is now undergoing limited beta testing. The testers are busy finding the worst of the bugs and offering suggestions for improvement. It's clear that we still have work to do, but the game's features are complete."

• 3 weeks later...

Some screenshots taken by a fellow betar with an x800 @ 1600x1200. He uploaded a bunch, but I only linked the ones I like B)

http://www.z2solutions.com/TV/1-(7).jpg

http://www.z2solutions.com/TV/1-(5).jpg

http://www.z2solutions.com/TV/1-(3).jpg

http://www.z2solutions.com/TV/1-(2).jpg

• 2 weeks later...

They released the public beta on fileplanet (for a fee) for 2 weeks before the open beta for everyone. I "obtained" it within 20 mins and it sucks compared to the previous release, so they pulled it. ALL the servers upgraded to 05, then after 2-3 hours went back to 04 'cause servers had a total of 39 people playing, lol. The only fixed things were graphic/sound wise...still had some bugs I recorded from before.

It pisses my off that you cant take a screenshot unless at high/ultra-high graphic settings. I go from 85 fps to 35 when bumping back up. I have to create a screenshot alias that increase the resolution/removes crosshair, then reverts back to playable configuration...just have been too lazy.