Membership Fees

bobsbrat

Would you be willing to pay $10 a year as a Lan Party Club?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be willing to pay $10 a year as a Lan Party Club?

• Yes
    • No

We have had several successfull lan parties over the course of the past few years and would like to expand the parties so more people can join in on the fun.

What we would like to do is have a membership.

When we rent out halls/backrooms/etc we would have to charge to cover the costs. Members would obviously pay a reduced rate. The range could be anywhere from $5 a party to $20 a party depending on where and what is included. We have found some great rates and are in the process of booking dates.

Of course this doesn't mean we're not going to have those freebies!!!!!!! It's just that the cost is starting to hit us in the pocketbook.

Think about it, if we were to pay $10 for 8 hours + of fun, how could you go wrong!

We're looking for input!

Sounds like a plan to me. So when's the next lan party? Are we gonna crash Duricks place since he can't give us the time & day anymore?! Maybe we'll head over to Mages instead. All we have to do is mention BEER & should be more than compliant to our wishes B)

-- Nemesis

B)

my 2 cents, since Mary asked me to respond and post

To me there are good reasons to have a membership fee, but not in all cases are these reasons applicible

The reasons are

Because you need start up fees

Because you expect some people to sign up, then not attend. (this, in effect, lowers the cost to the "regulars" )

From what I understand, the start up money needed isn't applicable in this case.

The second reason, doesn't seem like it would apply either. From what I understand, the parties are growning, and the problem isn't non attendance, but actually so many people attending that you are outgrowing Bob and Mary's place

Now to move on to the negative effects.

A registration fee may discourage someone from joining. It is one thing to pay each time you go, but many people will hesitate about paying a registration fee because they are not sure if they can make it enough times to justify the fee.

A point was made that the fee process would be a way to monitor underage people, they would have to fill out the registration with parental approval. I agree that underage people should be required to have a consent form signed by guardians, but I fail to see the connection with a registration fee. They are two seperate issues to me.

So, no, all in all, I don't think a registration fee is appropriate.

Now on to another point raised.

Mary said that they did not want to make a profit.

They have to.

oh, don't misunderstand me, they don't have to make enough money to live off, but they do have to make enough money (at a minimum) to get a kitty to handle certain things.

The night that everything is planned, the hall is rented, and a blizzard hits. No one shows, so the kitty has to make sure that Bob and Mary aren't stuck with a bill

So what happens to the money at the end of the year

To me, heck, Bob and Mary are doing the work, let them keep any money.

If they don't want to, they can host a free one that comes out of the kitty, use the money to buy a game or something, throw a picnic, give to the penguin happiness fund,buy the software for invision power board or anything else

Did I forget anything? Probally

but what do you expect for 2 cents?

$10 dollars a year is a small amount.... I gave that much to bob last time I was at his lan party, just for letting us (I brought a friend of mine) such up his floor space, electricity and a small amount of food. (Could have ate more, but had dinner waiting at home). Ofcourse I don't give him money every time I go, usually I'm just as broke as anyone else, I just happened to have extra, so... since he was so nice to host, gave it to him. Usually only give him money every other to every third time. Seems about right for the once a year cost, I could pony that up, especially if he gets a new powerlink package that will allow more upload, so more of us can port in from home. (Maybe Rodney or Walker, or Mages would make more apparences.)

Just my 2 cents, plus inflation.

I agree with Opus's point that a yearly fee is going to discourage people from coming/joining. I personally can say that I would probably think twice if you were charging a yearly fee ebcause I don't know if I'm gonna like it, or the people who come since you are opening this up publicly.

Also, as I understand it the $5 you were asking (not charging) per person was to fund the electric and also buy soda and pizza for the people who come. It seems to me that this method would be better. Why? Well you would then have the money in hand at each LAN to fund the Pizza and Soda for the people who are there at that time. One of the things I hated about Fragnation was paying the yearly price, and then getting "one glass of soda and 2 squares of pizza". You know, if I come to a LAN and there are 20 people who all put in $5, I think I should be able to have a couple cups of soda and a few slices of pizza without having it rationed out to me.

I dunno, maybe I'm not making my point very clearly... I guess I just don't wanna feel like I'm "a way to make money." I don't mind giving a couple bucks towards electricity and food when I go to a friends LAN, but when I'm a way to make money, it isn't as pleasant.

Ok, I'm clearly not making my point well. :ph34r: