Got Server Class Or Gigabit Nic?

B.Ob.

I'm fortunate enough to have an Intel PRO 1000 MT in both of my machines.... They should push (more advertising on) the amount of off-loading (stuff the CPU would normally do) that this card does, as I can't tell you what a HUGE difference it made in the game server I have, which just being an P3 850MHz needs all the help it can get!!!

Futurewatch: Intel's new chipset, 875P, has a dedicated 2 gigabit pipe right off the north bridge (so the PCI bus, which max's out at 1 gigabit btw, can do other things)... Think of it as AGP for your NIC!!

It will be interesting to see the performance of this new chip for networking tasks!!! ((:o))

I'm looking to sink my teeth into a gigabit NIC very soon as well. I've watched what it did on the monitoring screen on that server of yours as well as played the games running off of it & it made a HUGE difference. I didn't see any LAG at all during gameplay. Very sweet indeed.

-- Nem

• 2 weeks later...

They actually do a speed test Network Utilization Tests (over at [H]ardOCP.com) on an Intel D875PBZ motherboard using the new 875P chipset I'm talking about above....

The results might look underwhelming at first.... but you have to remember this stuff is coming off the hard drive, and you can't push it down faster than you can get it.... and the CPU utilization is SO low is what I've encountered with my own machines.... just mine are strapped to the PCI bus....

Perhaps this begs the question, is this special chipset even necessary right now.... or have a similar nic take the load off the CPU and live with any limitations the PCI bus would/might impose?

• 2 weeks later...

I did an unscientific test of xfering a 3.5Gig file between 2 PCs that had the Intel PRO/1000 MT nic (although only one connected at 1000; what can I say, I have the same switch as PurSuiT and that only has one Giga-bit port) and 2 PCs that had regular 10/100 nics....

The 2 PCs that had the Intel nic xfered the file in under 8 min 30 secs, where the other 2 PCs took 9 min 15 secs!! :P

traffic.jpg

those #'s are KB....

To put the NICs to the real test.

1) Connect them with a cross over, direct to each other.

2) Set system1 to 100Mb then test, leaving system2 auto

3) Repeat, set system1 to 1000Mb then test, leaving system2 auto

4) Repeat, set system1 to auto then test, leaving system2 auto

This should give true results for your testing

Yeah, I don't have a cross-over thou.... :(

Perhaps PurSuiT could bring one next week to the LAN party?! But we wouldn't let that interfere with the gaming.... (not that it takes long thou....) :P

Although forcing the cards to 100 would not get rid of the CPU off-loading that they do... but that can be turned off too..... ((:)))