Help recover hard drive.

I have a samsung harddrive that had linux mint and windows on it. Sunday the dropped

would not boot. kept giving me a Grub error. I made the mistake of resetting the mbr

with windows using fixmbr and fix boot. Now I am having trying seeing anything on the drive.

I have over 200 gigs of music I downloaded in addition to miscellaneous pics and other stuff

Now I am having trouble even seeing the drive. The drive is not that old 3 years maybe

can anyone offer any help or help with data recovery.

Thanks

Not sure of what version of windows you have, but, if its Win 7, then...

GRUB works in stages. First part of it is loaded from MBR (Master Boot Record), which points to secondary data located on your Linux partition that is required to proceed with next step of grub. From your description of the problem, apparently you have deleted the second stage of your grub installation and grub isn't able to find it.

In order to get back your Windows 7 boot loader on your MBR, to allow you to boot into Windows 7, follow these steps:

1- Boot your computer from your Windows 7 install dvd.

2- Choose your language, time, and keyboard input on the first screen, and click next.

3- On next screen, you will be presented with three choices. Click on "Repair Your Computer", to enter recovery window. Now select "Command Prompt". At the command prompt, first change your directory to boot (cd boot), and then type "bootsect /nt60 C:\". This will restore your windows boot loader onto your MBR.

Now restart your computer, and you should be able to boot into your Windows 7 installation.

More info might be needed such as what version of Linux / Windows, and what grub error did you have originally??

-Tecboy