3DS Price Drop Coming Soon

PurSuiT

Don't believe everything you hear when it comes to Nintendo, you might be surprised by what's really going on & how much of it was really self-inflicted...

Nintendo is financially hurting right now due to their own short-sightedness... they took way too long to come out w/ a new gaming console to keep up with the PS3 & 360, and sales are finally reflecting this. The PS3 & 360 have many features over the Wii that people now take for granted, which literally forced Nintendo to admit their mistake is rushing the Wii out like they did w/o all the extra bells & whistles that one would expect to find in a console. Is it a wonder that Nintendo is making the Wii-U now? They have alot riding on this new game console & they better get it right this time around. The Wii-U HAS to deliver on ALL promises made by Nintendo to the Press & they NEED to have a killer line-up of games @ launch, not to mention a HUGE list of games @ launch. Nintendo has a history of dropping the ball when it comes to new system launches & having practically no games to play on it.

It's widely known that the 3DS handheld isn't selling very well, and I can honestly say I'm not surprised... that handheld unit isn't worth $250 & most people know it, which is one of the reasons it's selling so poorly. Combine this will a VERY poor list of games available @ launch, not to mention what's out now, and U can see why they're hurting so much. Nintendo was banking on their "die-hard" fan base to help them out on this & most people were like... "I'd love to BUT ...".

Nintendo isn't really taking a loss on the unit going from $250 to $170 as it actually doesn't cost them all that much to make it, they were making over $100 per unit sold @ the present pricing of $250.

The cool thing that Nintendo is doing, and my hat is off to them for doing it, is for anyone who bought the 3DS for $250, b4 it goes on sale for $170, will be able to take advantage of their "Ambassador Program"... this will allow you to download from the Nintendo market any 20 games you want directly onto the 3DS as their way of saying "thank you". I find that very cool.

Thanks to the upcoming sale on the 3DS, not to mention there will be a trade-in program for current owners of the DSi/DS @ various stores, the 3DS is now on my radar of something to buy in the near future.

Official date of price drop for the 3DS -->> 8/12/11

The question now is this... will this be enough to help bring a renewed life back into Nintendo? Keep in mind that Sony & Microsoft have new game consoles coming out AFTER the Wii-U, giving them plenty of time to see what Nintendo does & counter it as they see fit. Also, Sony has the PS Vita handheld coming out later this year, which in itself is a powerhouse of technology. What are people going to be more inclined towards buying?

-- Nem