WD Ships 600GB VelociRaptor Drives

WD Ships 600GB VelociRaptor Drives

The WD6000HLHX ($329 list) 600GB drive supports the new 6-Gbps SATA interface, which may make for data transfer speeds up to 15 percent faster than could be achieved with the previous 300GB drive. An increase in cache from 16MB to 32MB will also provide another performance boost.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2362310,00.asp

I am holding out for a major price drop on one of these bad boys:

OCZ Z-Drive m84 OCZSSDPCIE-ZDM84256G PCI-E 256GB PCI-Express interface (x8) MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820227498

I just installed Windows7 on a Intel 160GB SSD and I got to say it is fast though I have been very happy with my 300GB Raptor over the last year or so and would not think 2x about getting a 600GBer for storage or running less fequently used program from it.

This is the last hooray for the Raptor...their niche is gone

Well they are also looking into making the new raptors for laptops and I bet you see a 2TB or higher one before they shit can the line all together. So I am thinking you will see them around as storage drives for atleast another 5 years.

BTW: With the Intel x25-M 160GB SSD I am booting Windows7 from the time I am hitting the power button to all startup apps open (xfire, steam, ect.) in 15 secs and 8 sec for shut down times. :groupwavereversed: