Power Gig: Rise of the Six String

PurSuiT

Exactly what I predicted would happen when Guitar Hero's first appeared.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10465715-1.html

Instead of using plastic simulations of guitars that are essentially just dressed-up plastic game controllers, the game uses fully functional six-string guitars that control the game, but can also be played in real life.

We got a sneak peek at an early version of the game and its hardware, and came away impressed with the general concept.

The guitars have quarter-inch instrument jacks, which can be used to hook them up to any guitar amp.

When connected to an Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3 console, you press a button and a dampening block pops out of the body and holds the strings in place, so you can use the guitar's fingerboard to control the game.

The game itself looked similar to other music games we've seen, with a band on stage, plus notes flowing across the screen (although the notes string together as they pop onto the screen, rather than the traditional piano roll look). At least from the short gameplay demo we saw, the it seemed like the game used the single-note runs found in other music games, or two-note root-fifth power chords, but didn't take advantage of the guitar hardware to let you play full chords.

Power Gig: Rise of the Six String is scheduled to arrive this fall for PS3 and Xbox 360, and will include a microphone and drums, in addition to the real-life guitars.

ForPress_Product2_REV_610x487.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I stand by my word as being a guitarist for 20+ yrs, any thing over medium on Rock Band, Guitar Hero or any other game, you should just pick up the real thing and start learning. :groupwavereversed:

Dragon

i totaly agree there, especally with schools haveing to cut music and art programs, i think its form mr hollands's opus,, if they dont have music and art , what are kids going to write about in english...

I stand by my word as being a guitarist for 20+ yrs, any thing over medium on Rock Band, Guitar Hero or any other game, you should just pick up the real thing and start learning. :groupwavereversed:

Dragon

Very cool! I really liked the drums in Rock Band 2 and I was a drummer in highschool and it believe that it does help. I don't have much natrual musical talent, but I do see these games as being perfect to start poeple in the right direction.