Steam Coming to OS X!

PurSuiT

Steam Coming to OS X!

Last week, Valve Software generated some excitement among gaming fans who noticed Mac OS X menu components and other items in the most recent release of the company's Steam distribution platform for the PC. Combined with reports of Valve recruiting Mac engineers.

MacRumors today received a teaser image from Valve appearing to show Gordon Freeman, protagonist of Valve's Half-Life video game series, with an Apple logo on his chest. The image was accompanied with the following explanation: "In anticipation of an upcoming announcement from Valve."

http://www.pcworld.com/article/190775/stea...ng_to_os_x.html

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/03/03/valve-...elease-for-mac/

154550-valve_4_300.jpg

When they going to announce steam for the MAC??? I bet it will be on April 1st.... Suckers!!!

150310-valvemac-lg.jpg

I think it is a good thing that steam is finally making it to the MAC. Until OSx it would have been to hard for developers to port games over, but now it make prefect sence.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10465752-1.html

It looks like gamers can finally start taking the Mac platform seriously. Confirming recent stirrings, Valve announced Monday that it will bring its gaming service Steam, and Source, its proprietary gaming engine, to Macs.

According to Valve, Steamworks for the Mac supports all of the Steamworks APIs, and a new feature, called Steam Play, allows customers who purchase the product for the Mac or Windows to play on the other platform free of charge. This means a gamer can play the PC version of a game via Steam Play, then continue on the Mac version without having to pay extra.

Valve's library includes titles it developed: Left 4 Dead 2, Team Fortress 2, Counter-Strike, Portal, and the Half-Life series, which will be available in April.

Valve revealed that games will be ported to Mac as native versions, as opposed to via an emulation, and in the future Valve will release games simultaneously for Windows, Mac, and the Xbox 360. Mac and Windows players will be part of the same multiplayer universe, sharing servers, lobbies, and so forth.

I do actually think this is one of the reasons Apple went with intel cpu's! I also predict soon that Linux users too, will also get their day... All you need is one major game publisher and all the rest will sheepishly follow and that is not always a bad thing!

I do actually think this is one of the reasons Apple went with intel cpu's! I also predict soon that Linux users too, will also get their day... All you need is one major game publisher and all the rest will sheepishly follow and that is not always a bad thing!

Source games already run on linux... ...just no steam client.

Source games already run on linux... ...just no steam client.

That is what I was referring to! In a long about kinda way...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Steam for the Mac Released

http://store.steampowered.com/news/3818/

Steam has been a service exclusively for PC users since we launched it in 2004. For the first time we and our partners are bringing it to another platform. It's been a ton of work, but the Mac is great for the same reason the PC is great - they are both open systems that let gamers and game developers be as close as possible.

So check it out. If you have a Mac and are new to Steam, welcome! If you've been with us since the beginning, borrow a Mac and log into your Steam account and jump into a game. And for everybody, Portal is free from today until the 24th.

It was rather buggy for me when I tried it...I'm still far from being sold that Macs are a better gaming platform. There's a reason why my Windows box is almost exclusively for gaming, and the Mac almost exclusively for business-related work.