Laptop or lan box

Only 1.6 GHz Quad, Only 1 HD bay and the GTS360m is not has powerful as the GTX260m. Then again for a gaming laptop I would not be looking at monitor size myself, as even if I moved to a laptop I would still be bringing my 28" LCD, external keyboard and mouse.

I converted to laptops for LAN's years ago. IMO 17" works well enough. The 15" models just dont have enough estate to enjoy as much. If you could do a 19" that of course would be nice. However dont take a hit in specs. Its my preference now to have a laptop and an external monitor for LAN's. All the gear is still easily carried in one trip, the LCD takes little space and is an easy setup. And all said and told its so much nicer to have, in my case a simple 22" wide LCD for gaming at the LAN's, vs. even the 17" or 19" LCD screen. Lastly even on gaming laptops, the LCD's arent usually going to be super high performance. Their claim to fame is just size and resolution. I dont ever see n the specs the response time on them.

Plus you can use the extra LCD for dual screen gaming at the LAN's or for apps etc. Make ur lappy LCD your secondary, set lappy to the side how you like it, and the LCD the main.

So I'd say make sure your core machine is solid, the money you save on the larger laptop screen, put into a comparatively inexpensive LCD, and you're set.

Very solid gaming laptops run as little as $900-$1000 right now. Grab a 22" lcd for like $200'ish or less, and you are well ahead of the game with a better hardware setup.

yeah I have a couple nice LCD's already, and I guess I'm trying to get used to the names of all these different video cards for laptops. I am an ATI man but it seems that many laptops are using NVIDA. I was just going for a higher number thinking 360 is better than 260.... but clearly that's not the case. I'm trying to find a grid for NVIDA laptop graphics cards so I can make a better choice.

after careful review of all the information, I went with http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/pdet.t...es&top=true

I looked at the best price/performance and anything better than this that had a significant upgrade was at least $400 more. The ASUS linked earlier was really nice but for the $200 difference I didn't see it, and for $200 I can get a nice case, thumb drive, expedited shipping, and more. Plus the insurance was on sale for this as well (25% off) which widened the gap even more to roughly $300+

hey perhaps it will arrive in time for Saturday's LAN!

Edited by DaPoets

• 2 weeks later...

Jeff, Mickey and I were discussing this laptop last night, some pretty killer specs

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...0-695-_-Product

CPU Type: Intel Core i7

CPU Speed: 720QM

Memory Size: 8GB

Hard Disk 500GB 7200RPM

Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870

Video Memory: 1GB GDDR5

Resolution: 1920 x 1080

LCD Features: LED backlight

LAN: 10/100/1000Mbps

WLAN: 802.11 b/g/n Wireless LAN

Bluetooth: Yes

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

1 year ASUS Accidental Damage Warranty - Drops, Fire, Spill, Surge

or....

You can get the same model from http://www.xoticpc.com/ with...

CPU Type: Intel Core i7

CPU Speed: 920QM

Memory Size: 16GB

Hard Disk #1 160GB Intel G2 X25-M SSD

Hard Disk #2 500GB 7200RPM

Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870

Video Memory: 1GB GDDR5

Resolution: 1920 x 1080

LCD Features: LED backlight

LAN: 10/100/1000Mbps

WLAN: 802.11 b/g/n Wireless LAN

Bluetooth: Yes