Power Consumption 2900XT vs 4870

PurSuiT

I upgraded my system from a Sapphire 2900XT 512Mb (the card that everyone whined used so much power) to a Sapphire 4870 Toxic 1GB. I wanted to see what my power was at idle/once the computer was fully booted. Thinking that the 4870 (Two 6-pin = 150Watts avalible to the card) used quite a bit less power then the 2900 (8-pin and 6-pin = 300Watts avalible to the card) I decided to see by hooking up a Kill-a-Watt meter. To my surprise the 4870 uses more power when idle. Going to see if I can get my hands on a 3870 512Mb from a friend to test in my system also.

2900XT = 263Watts

4870 = 289Watts

If anyone else has a Kill-A-Watt Meter let me know what your system specs are and your Watt usage in comparison. Thanks

Computer specs

-----------------------------

- AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core Processor

- ASUS Crosshair II Formula AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA nForce 780a SLI HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

- EVGA GeForce GTX 280 Hydro Copper Clear Top 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16

All components except RAM are cooled by a liquid cooling system with a pump and radiator. 3 fans on the radiator and 1 in the case itself.

Kill-A-Watt stats

----------------------------------

113.6 - 114.1 Volt plug

1.75-2.00 Amps

196 Watts

59.9 Hz

All systems on, logged into windows, idle.

Edited by Gungen