Which switch to get

WarSpartan

Not sure which forum to drop this in so will do it here:

I havent shopped for switches in forever, but am debating a 12-24 port gigabit switch for the home network here. Any input on what to look for ? Whats some good priced models to look at ?

Also on a price / performance comparison is it worth stringing a couple 8 gigabit switches vs. say a 16 or 24 ?

Thanky.

Edited by WarSpartan

FYI: Made a new section and moved the post, as you are right it did not really fit anywhere else. Also been wanting to make a networking thread for awhile.

I personally think the best bang the buck switch are the Dell 27xx series

I have a PowerConnect 2624, 2724 and a 2748. Same switches Bob, Jeff and I have been using at LANs for years.

http://www.dell.com/content/products/produ...aspx/pwcnt_2724

You can find these on ebay for a good deal sometimes

Yea they look good. Not sure about the price though. I saw a simple netgear 16 port gb switch in my meanderings that comes in at $135 and has had great reviews. I think for the lan arrangement I have atm, it will be a 16 port in the one half of the basement, then thats will link over to another set of lines and ports on the other side. Otherwise I have to rerun the existing wire bundle I have in place and Im not sure I want to do that whole mess on top of new wiring side 2.

From a tech question side - aside from controlling ports and access is there a performance reason to work with a "managed" switch, vs. the unmanaged ?

Edited by WarSpartan

• 2 weeks later...

From a tech question side - aside from controlling ports and access is there a performance reason to work with a "managed" switch, vs. the unmanaged ?

All that you will, well might actually, get with a managed switch (other than the possibility of a faster backplane) when compared to an unmanaged switch would be features that during a LAN party or most home networks would never be needed/used; VLANs, QoS, etc...

This is not to say that I know someone who is running a Cisco 5000 series switch in their apartment with multiple VLANs, VMPS, etc.... But that setup is far from ordinary.

Cliff notes: If the backplanes are the same then you will not see any performance increase.