ATI 3800 series

B.Ob.

ATI Radeon HD 3800 Series

ATI Radeon HD 3870 & 3850: A Return to Competition

HD 3800: AMD’s Midrange Rebuttal

"We are sure you are more interested on how these new cards perform compared to the existing GeForce 8800GT and the Radeon HD 2900XT so we will keep it short and sweet in this article and follow up with another to go over power efficiency at each state, temperature states, video playback and any other intricacy you might like to know about."

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do wonder how much better the HD 3870 will be over the x1950pro's. If they are MUCH better and since they support CrossfireX, I may start selling my x1950pro's and use those funds to get the HD 3870's... hmm I need benchmarks...

One 3870 will = Two 1950Pro's. But you gain DX10.1, SM4.1 and the benifit of newer technology and a single card. At the next LAN you can drop in my 2900XT and run 3dmark and see if you like.

http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_200...7&chart=310

Yeah, only disappointment here is the 3850 even has a 256meg model, although 512 will be out eventually.

Look what someone did with their 3870: Mini Review: Accelero S1 + 140mm Yate on 3870!

• 1 month later...

One of the more interesting 3870's:

Sapphire Atomic HD 3870 Review

"The Sapphire HD 3870 Atomic Edition is a product that uses the word atomic, but is it to profess that the Sapphire card is fast and should blow the other video cards in its class out of the water? The HD 3870 Atomic Edition is an overclocked version of the ATI Radeon 670 chipset, which is the basis of the 3800 series of graphics solutions. The Sapphire HD 3870 Atomic Edition also has something small which would be its heatsink. The heatsink is a single slot cooling solution which utilizes a vapor-x chamber to enhance its cooling properties. So what will we be able to relate the Atomic Edition to, performance, size, or both?"

Good effort for lazy people that don't overclock.

Think it is more for ppl that will be using Intel's new X48 chipset and want 3 or 4 vid cards running with CrossfireX. Standard PC Cases only has 7 slots in the back so 4 dual slot cards would not work even if you could get them all on one motherboard.

Yeah, I liked Parox's Dell when I saw it, but I also love my Samsung too much to really consider another brand atm. And as slick as that new Dell is, I think the space they use for the speakers on the side would guarantee it wouldn't fit in my desk at home.

• 4 weeks later...

Sapphire HD3870 Atomic Edition review

Quite interesting, as the Atomic Edition is clocked at 825, like the 3870x2's (just that the Atomic has one gpu of course) and the review includes video cards some us still have, 1950pro, 1900xtx, 2900xt, among others. Definately a GOOD read!!!!