Sony cuts price on PS3--is it enough?

DaPoets

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9799655-1...l?tag=cnetfd.mt

Way back on September 12, we reported on rumors that Sony would be releasing a $400 40GB PS3/Spider-Man 3 Blu-ray bundle for the holidays. The not-so-secret new system has now been officially announced by Sony, with a November 2nd launch date in the North America. At the same time--effective immediately--the current 80GB model will be available in North America for $500.

In Sony's press release, CEO Jack Tretton is quoted as saying, "We're pleased to offer the consumer a lower price point without sacrificing the core technology components that make PS3 the most advanced high-definition entertainment system available. Every PS3 comes with a Blu-ray drive, HDMI output, an integrated Wi-Fi connection, Cell Broadband Engine and a built-in hard-drive." As previously reported, however, the new 40GB PS3 won't offer any form of backward capability with PS2 games. (Read John Falcone's earlier post for a full report on the issue).

As I've said before, if Sony hoped to compete with the XBox 360 and Wii during the holiday season, it had to hit the $400 price point. Some readers scoffed that the inclusion of the Spider-Man 3 Blu-ray wasn't exactly a big selling point, considering the movie sucked. Also weighing heavily on Sony is the lack of a true breakout (exclusive) title that gives fence-sitters a little more sense of urgency to buy the system.

What do you think? With the XBox 360's reliability problems, is $400 the magic price point for the PS3 and its built-in Blu-ray player? Or are the games what matter in the end (i.e., Halo 3, BioShock, and the upcoming Mass Effect)?

Posted in: Games and gear, Home, Home video

Tags: Sony, PS3, Blu-ray, Spider-Man 3

Nope, I still just plan on buying a Sexbox 360 and a Wii and taking a big piss on Sony.

I was also reading somewhere that Sony is dropping support for the backwards compataiblity for PS2 games. Here's the quote...

Sony Computer Entertainment America has finally come clean about the introduction of a now worldwide PlayStation 3 SKU with a 40GB hard drive and removed support for backwards compatibility with PlayStation 2 titles.

...but I can't remember where I read it yesterday. ;)

Dragon

At first I was thinking... "What the -F- is Sony thinking? NO backwards compatibility for PS2 games anymore?!". Then the smoke cleared, the fire in my eyes left & I realized it's no biggie when U think about it. Do U buy a PS3 so U can keep playing PS2 games? NO, U don't, U buy a kick-ass system like a PS3 for all the new/cool stuff & there's ALOT of it out now with more on the way!!! Also, if playing your PS2 games is still THAT important to U, then keep your PS2 handy & play them that way. Microsoft Xlax users have to do it, so Sony users aren't any different.

With that in mind, does this mean U should follow the advice of Dragon who's a known hater of anything Sony related & buy a Xlax 360 just to spite Sony as he is?? HELL NO, U buy what is going to offer U the games U want to play & do the things U want it to do, regardless of petty, personal issues ;)

I have a Wii & PS3 & they both rock & would never think of NOT having them, they simply offer too much to pass up. I will eventually be getting a 360 as well, when it finally offers more of what I want, which right now isn't much.

-- Nem

So your telling me if I want to keep playing my POS2 games, I have to keep that console out and plugged in too? Along with my Sexbox 360, Sexbox, GC, N64, SNES, NES... I'll stop there as I've already ran out of connections on my tv for all of them, even with a 4way switch box.

Cereal man. Unless they change game formats, like Ninendo did, I think the new system should be a complete replacement for the older version. Shouldn't be too hard as I don't have to plug in my old PC just to play SS2. ;)

Dragon

WOW, U are telling me that U would rather have the N64, SNES & NES all plugged into your TV over a PS2, ESPECIALLY when all 3 of those systems have Emulators for the PC which doesn't require a TV hookup, then I guess that there really is no point in continuing this discussion with U as you already had your mind made up b4 posting.

Thanx for verifying what I wrote in my last post, I appreciate that ;)

-- Nem

So your telling me if I want to keep playing my POS2 games, I have to keep that console out and plugged in too? Along with my Sexbox 360, Sexbox, GC, N64, SNES, NES... I'll stop there as I've already ran out of connections on my tv for all of them, even with a 4way switch box.

Cereal man. Unless they change game formats, like Ninendo did, I think the new system should be a complete replacement for the older version. Shouldn't be too hard as I don't have to plug in my old PC just to play SS2. B)

Dragon

What gets me about them cutting support, is that they are still releasing new titles for the PS2, more new titles then the PS3 have come out in the last month.

New Releases in the last 30 days

PS2 - 21

PS3 - 13

Within 2 months of the 360 coming out new releases on the xBox OG were hard to find.

That's Sony for ya... they feel that there's still life left in the PS2 & for a while longer, they will continue to develope games for the PS2. It would be better in the long run to drop the PS2 like MS did with their xBox in favor of the 360, but Sony doesn't see things like that.

Do I agree w/ them cutting out support for backwards compatibility... No.

Does your or my opinion matter to Sony... No.

Do I buy into the excuse of cutting out backwards compatibility due to cost... Not a chance, U & I both know it's all a line of BS.

However, that won't keep me from buying a product that I have a use for.

-- Nem

What gets me about them cutting support, is that they are still releasing new titles for the PS2, more new titles then the PS3 have come out in the last month.

PS2 - 21

PS3 - 13

Within 2 months of the 360 coming out new releases on the xBox OG were hard to find.

/me puts Dragon and Nemesis in separate corners before it get ugly....

Yeah, Sony needs to do whatever they can to boost sales. Maybe releasing a cheaper model does that...

PS2 - 21

PS3 - 13

Same thing they did with the PS1 when the PS2 came out. There is still a large active user base of the PS2 and to cut support of the PS2, just because the PS3 is out is poor business.

I might be behind the curve but last time I'd read anything on the subject they were removing the hardware emotion engine chip from the PS3 (like they did in europe) and were going to do all compatibility in software emulation. Strikes me as odd that they'd pull software emulation, except for that fact that it sucked. Maybe this is them throwing up the white flag.

...Maybe this is them throwing up the white flag.

Yeah, but Sony would deny that too.... :toot: