Since Bioshock is out today

I get 0 frames, as I did not pick the game up yet.... I have to many other games I'm waiting for this fall.

I played the demo today... sweet game indeed, ZERO slowdown for me.

Sorry, I didn't feel the need to have a frame counter up, so I can't share that tidbit of info.

I could very easily see this game having a multi-player mode to it if the developer had taken the time to do so. BioShock is graphical beautiful & the mechanics behind it are awesome. I get such a charge out of electrifying enemies in the water!!!

-- Nem

There are hundreds of posts about problems with widescreen monitor support in BioShock impacting both PC and Xbox 360 owners. At issue is how images are expanded and cropped to accommodate widescreen modes, meaning widescreen users actually get less image than fullscreen users, a situation bordering on irony. There is no good news from 2K or the studio formerly known as Irrational on the forum.

Nice widescreen support

Yeah, the lame ass wide screen support sucks. Glad I'm not running one yet. I'm sure with all the bitching on the forums, 2K will patch it in, but it should have been there from the start.

It runs great on my pc. Every now and then I get a hicup but its never when it matters. I get smooth fps all the time. I really haven't seen a difference between Dx9 and 10 with screenshots, maybe my eyes are going. Hopefully we'll have someone at the next lan with Dx10 and the game and we can compare side by side. ;)

Dragon

THE TRUTH ABOUT WIDESCREEN

"We understand there has been some concern about the implementation of widescreen mode in BioShock. Hopefully, we can clarify how we’ve chosen to do this.

The first thing we want to make clear is the mode we developed the game on and the optimal mode for playing the game is the widescreen mode. 90% of our development stations were widescreen displays: artists, programmers and designers.

- BioShock was primarily developed and tuned for widescreen mode. Artists and designers worked with widescreen displays and chose a field of view (FOV) that best reflected their intentions with respect to the way the world is perceived, the perceived speed of movement of the player relative to the world and the amount of the world they wanted to be viewed for the best game-play experience. We went through dozens of iterations and finally settled upon a widescreen aspect ratio that best suited the gameplay experience.

- When playing in widescreen modes the game makes use of the full screen resolution, and does not crop or stretch a lower resolution image into a wide screen one. For example, at 720p the game renders natively to the full 1280x720 resolution.

- Once this FOV was established, we chose to keep exactly the same horizontal FOV for standard def displays, so as not to in any way alter the gameplay experience.

- Instead of cropping the FOV for 4:3 displays and making all 4:3 owners mad in doing so, we slightly extended the vertical FOV for standard def mode: we never wanted to have black bars on people’s displays. (This way, everybody is happy…) This does mean that people playing on a standard def display see slightly more vertical space, but, this does not significantly affect the game-play experience and, we felt that it best served our goal of keeping the game experience as close as possible to the original design and art vision on both types of displays. Reports of the widescreen FOV being a crop of the 4:3 FOV are completely false.

One thing we can assure you that all these decisions were made with the best interests of the game in mind. We didn’t save any money or development time by choosing this set of parameters. We did what we thought was the best thing for the game: developing and optimizing it for widescreen displays, and making the decision not to do the usual crop for 4:3 displays. As a consumer, you certainly have the right to disagree.

We understand that not all users might not be happy with these choices and we will be looking into options for allowing users to adjust FOV settings manually. But as we mentioned earlier, changes to video game code do not happen in minutes or hours. We appreciate your understanding."

oh it gets better

BioShock features copy protection that only allows you to install it twice

"If you downloaded the demo for BioShock and decided that you had to have this game, or just skipped the demo and bought it anyway you were probably a little shocked by the SecuROM copy protection that is enabled on the disc. Basically this only allows you to install the game twice."

Hope your harddrive does not crash or you forget to uninstall it before a reformat.

BioShock BioLocked To Two PCs

Uh-oh, the official BioShock forumers are up in arms because BioShock is supposedly limited to two installs, at which point the game becomes a useless coaster unable to be used ever again. However, having spoken to a senior member of 2K Games we can reveal that the above is bullshit - to prevent piracy the game is restricted to two simultaneous installs. Let's lay it out:

You install BioShock on PC #1.

You unlock it via the net-based activation.

You install BioShock on PC #2.

You unlock it via the net-based activation.

You install BioShock on PC #3.

You go to unlock it, but no! You may be an evil space pirate hell bent on installing the game on your grandmother's computer for free! No unlock for you evil doer!

You're not an evil space pirate so you go home and uninstall the game from PC #2.

The worker bees in PC #2 send an alert via the net to 2K's HQ who reimburse you with one install credit.

You return to Gran's house and install it on her POS PC.

You attempt to unlock BioShock again and hey presto, it unlocks!

You start the game but are booted back to desktop because Gran forgot to buy a Shader Model 3.0 GPU at the bingo :(

There you have it, everything's AOK, and yes, all digital and boxed versions of the game have this piracy prevention device included. So there.

Update: We asked our 2K contact what would happen if both of your computers simultaneously failed and you were unable to uninstall the game to reacquire an install credit:

"You'd have to ring Securom, explain your situation, and get them to fix you up. However, if you keep ringing and asking for unlocks every two minutes..."

Don't forget this is a single player game, no mutli-player....

They weren't kidding when stating you aren't missing much between the dx10 & dx9 versions of BioShock, both are pretty much identical, which is indeed sad. What I could see being the most consistant "difference" between the two was that dx10 had a slightly darker shade to it, while offering up slightly more "vivid" colors. The differences are so subtle though that you truly need to be looking for it to even notice it, otherwise you aren't going to see it.

Besides that, the game looks great & is a blast to play.

-- Nem

2K Games hears “BioShocked” customer gripes

"2K Games must have heard an earful and read the negative press and customer complaints over the SecuROM copy protection that is protecting the PC version of “BioShock,” as they have made some major revisions to the policies surround the SecuROM copy protection. While the changes do not eliminate the copy protection, the changes make it more manageable by loosening the maximum install requirement and by providing a new utility to assist with the removal of the product from your PC system. Here are the details:

* Effective as of 8/23/07 they are upping the number of installs to a maximum of 5.

* A new tool called “revoke” is being put together that will remove a BioShock installation and return the installation back to the server. While the tool is not available yet, it will be released shortly. This should allow for a complete uninstall of the game and then return your installation authorization back to the server. This is a big step in the right direction, short of the removal of the copy protection altogether.

* 2K Games has given the SecuROM customer more latitude in solving customer problems. In addition, 2K Games has pledged to work with any customer who is having problems, and to see their issues through until the problem is resolved. I don’t claim to be an expert, but isn’t this what customer service is already supposed to do?

* 2K Games is aware that the activation server did go down on 8/22/07 and that it was down for quite some time. They have put in place safeguards to prevent this from happening again. According to 2K Games, BioShock only needs to contact the SecuROM activation server once over the Internet to activate the game, and while the DVD will be required to run the game, BioShock does not require an Internet connection to be played."

etc... go read it...