Vista Service Pack 1

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Driver issues

When Steve Sinchak's new Intel network card became "really slow" after upgrading his Windows Vista PC with a pre-release version of Service Pack 1, he tried uninstalling its software driver and replacing it with a new one. But to his dismay, the Chicago-area technology author and blogger found himself "stuck in a loop" during the InstallShield-managed process -- unable to replace his sluggish older driver with a new, peppier one. "It's messed up to the point where I may have to use brute force to uninstall the driver, or wipe my hard drive and reinstall Windows Vista completely," he said.

Driver issues

When Steve Sinchak's new Intel network card became "really slow" after upgrading his Windows Vista PC with a pre-release version of Service Pack 1, he tried uninstalling its software driver and replacing it with a new one. But to his dismay, the Chicago-area technology author and blogger found himself "stuck in a loop" during the InstallShield-managed process -- unable to replace his sluggish older driver with a new, peppier one. "It's messed up to the point where I may have to use brute force to uninstall the driver, or wipe my hard drive and reinstall Windows Vista completely," he said.

"the Chicago-area technology author and blogger" = he bought a dell online last year and now blogs about how easy it was?

He installs beta software and drivers on his computer and then whines about having to possibly reinstall windows? WTF? I say CRY MORE n00b! Don't install beta's on production equipment or just STFU!

Number of fixes in SP1 by catagory

Fixes Category

75 Internet Explorer

41 Sleep/Hibernation & Power Management

38 Storage

35 Hardware and Drivers

35 Networking

28 Desktop and Shell

25 Printing & Scanning Technologies

25 .NET Framework, Data Components, Development Tools

24 Setup, Deployment, Backup, and Activation

24 Windows Media Center

23 International/Localization

20 Computer Management, Administration, and Tools

19 Application Compatibility

19 Multimedia

16 Performance and Reliability

16 Startup/Shutdown

13 Time Zone/Daylight Saving Time

13 Windows Media Player and Related Technologies

12 Security

12 Remote Access, VPN

8 IIS and WebDAV issues

7 Wireless Networking

7 Offline Files

6 Windows Mail and Web-based Software

5 Windows Sidebar and SideShow

5 Windows Portable Devices

Microsoft Releases Windows Vista SP1 To Businesses This Week

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showAr...cleID=206401787

"The company is releasing Vista SP1 in stages because the update has encountered some driver errors after re-installation of those drivers during the Vista update process. The final code for the service pack is in and ready, but Microsoft is working with hardware vendors to make their drivers compatible so that customers don't run into roadblocks when updating."

Microsoft: SP1 Drivers Not Malfunctioning

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2259442,00.asp

Mike Nash from Microsoft's Windows product management group said in a blog post last week that SP1 would be rolled out gradually due to a driver problem Microsoft uncovered during the testing phase.

Nash updated the Vista team blog Monday to say that it "was an issue with the way the device drivers were reinstalled during the SP1 update process, not with the drivers themselves – these drivers worked on Windows Vista release to manufacturing (RTM) and they work on Windows Vista SP1. For new PCs with Windows Vista SP1 preinstalled, this is not an issue," he wrote.

Vista SP1 vs. XP SP2 - Part Deux

"One of the main criticisms of my initial benchmark tests was that I overlooked the fact that, under the hood, Windows Vista SP1 works differently to XP SP2 in the file copy department. The difference is down to caching and how Vista carried out uncached I/O while XP caches the files. On top of that is the further complication that the file transfer progress bars are coded to work differently. Vista’s file copy dialog box goes away when the cache is committed, while under XP the copy dialog goes away while the committal is still pending. In other words XP is coded to appear fast. Mark Russinovich has the details:"

• 2 weeks later...