Vista Service Pack 1

Vista Service Pack Due in Two Weeks, Early Versions Leaked Today

The first official updates to the Windows Vista operating system are expected to arrive on August 14 -- these are presumed to be early versions of the enhancement packs sent out to beta testers a few days ago.

The final version of SP1 will be a 45MB download, and it will be made available over Windows Update.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, just 2 weeks?!? Thats a quick BETA for a windows sp, isn't it??

Could they be referring to SP1 here? Vista Performance and Reliability Pack Leaked

BTW, once SP1 is out, I will consider Vista a viable product!! :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

Microsoft Releases Service Packs for Vista, XP to Testers

Microsoft addressed a number of these problems in late July through the release of the "938979 Vista Performance and Reliability Pack" and "938194 Vista Compatibility and Reliability Pack." The software packs were originally issued only to Vista beta testers, but are now available to the general public.

Those fixes along with a host of other updates are expected to make their way into SP1. A private beta of SP1 was issued in early July and testers have been pinging ZDNET's Mary Jo Foley regarding the latest builds.

In addition to the SP1 information, AeroXperience also reports that Windows XP SP3 was released to testers (Build 5.1.2600.3180). The download weighs in at 350MB and supposedly fixes over 900 issues with the operating system.

• 3 weeks later...

Vista Service Pack Coming In Q1 2008

Putting to rest months of rampant rumors and speculation, Microsoft on Wednesday said it plans to launch the first service pack for Windows Vista during the first quarter of 2008.

To improve the Vista experience before the release of SP1, Microsoft has fixed earlier problems with device drivers and ironed out application compatibility issues

Microsoft plans to make updates available for Vista SP1 and beyond through Windows Update, Windows Server Update Services (WSUS), through a standalone, one-gigabyte software package, or through OEMs

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Beta White Paper

Laundry list of stuff from above link: (go check it out!!)

- Introduction

- Improving the Customer Experience

- Ongoing Updates

- Application Compatibility Improvements

- Device Driver Improvements

- Introducing Windows Vista Service Pack 1

- Quality Improvements

- Security

- Reliability

- Performance

- Administration Experience

- Emerging Hardware and Standards

- Evaluating Windows Vista Service Pack 1

- Deploying Windows Vista Service Pack 1

- Summary

• 3 months later...

Public test next week for Vista SP1

Microsoft also said this week that it will change the way its antipiracy features work in SP1, eliminating a system in which Vista machines found not to be genuine are relegated to a near-unusable "reduced functionality mode." In its place, Microsoft will show prominent warnings and prompt those with non-genuine software to get a properly licensed copy. The new antipiracy approach will be in the final version of SP1 but is not part of the release candidate version.

The release candidate version of the Vista service pack comes just as the Windows Server team issues a public release candidate for Windows Server 2008. Development of Vista SP1 and Windows Server 2008 have been fairly closely aligned and both are slated for release in the first quarter of 2008.

• 1 month later...
i forsee... milllions of activations go ka-put and have to call to microsoft after install... probally just like when i replace my mobo

I had to call them when I replaced my MB too, took like 3 mins. have had to do it for XP several times also and not issues.

Microsoft Upgrades Vista Kernel in SP1

"One of the big features discussed in early speculation of Windows Vista SP1 was the kernel upgrade, which was supposed to bring the operating system into line with the Longhorn kernel used in Windows Server 2008.