Gamers see gain/pain from Vista

Gamers see gain and pain from Microsoft Vista

Microsoft says Vista will provide the best way to play highly anticipated games such as "Crysis", a breathtakingly realistic shooter, "Supreme Commander", a strategy game that gives players control of massive armies, or "Age of Conan: Hyborean Adventures", a lush online role-playing game.

A key feature is a "Games Explorer", sort of a "My Pictures" folder for games, that organizes titles in one place and issues alerts when updates and patches become available;

Windows Vista DX10 BSOD pictured

"While running a preview version of DirectX 10 title, several random reboots happened. Luckily, Vista is a fast rebooter, but still - Nvidia has plenty of work ahead."

Probably, but consider completely new OS, new gpu chipset architecture, and new directX, its gotta be hard on the peeps writing the drivers for it!!!

Probably, but consider completely new OS, new gpu chipset architecture, and new directX, its gotta be hard on the peeps writing the drivers for it!!!

I am saying that it is a joke for ppl to even be thinking about buying DX10 card, by the time games are readily avalible/compatible with DX10 (1 to 2yrs away) it will be time to buy another card. I would not put off buying a card if you need one for the simple reason to wait for a DX10 card.

Speaking of games, Vista and pain... Everyone see this?

Creative ALchemy Project

"In Windows Vista, Microsoft has decided to remove the Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) for DirectSound and DirectSound3D. The HAL is the software layer that on previous Windows Operating Systems enabled an audio accelerator such as the SB X-Fi, to provide DirectSound3D applications with hardware accelerated audio. This enabled soundcards to perform tasks such as sample-rate conversion, mixing, 3D spatialization using HRTFs, filtering, and effects processing. Without the HAL, DirectSound on Windows Vista will be rendered in software with no advanced functionality such as EAX."

Windows Vista Gaming Performance Reports

"I've said it many times over during the past week, but the final release of Vista (RTM, Build 6000) is far better than what we saw in Beta 2. The performance in general is smoother and a lot of applications work without crashing. It's really no comparison, Beta 2 was as bug ridden as they come when compared to RTM. That said, it's not all fun and games. It still has a good deal of annoyances to deal with.

Last week, I posted an article similar to this, except there I dealt strictly with system performance. As a whole, there was not too much to be upset with. Vista did prove slower than XP in the end, but the differences were very minor. From this article, we received a lot of good comments (and criticism) about the testing and recommendations for other tests. I will likely follow-up to that article in the coming weeks, as some of the ideas given to me should indeed be touched on, such as network and GUI performance."

Windows XP vs. Vista: The Benchmark Rundown

Benchmarking Checklist

* Tweak the OS: turn off animations and AeroGlass for maximum system performance.

* Disable User Access Control to prevent it from interrupting certain benchmarks.

* Have the OS process pending idle tasks

* Turn off system restore

* Install all applications, and execute them several times (with restarts in between) to make SuperFetch aware that you want them to be available.

* Don't use the system after reboots during your SuperFetch training period: this way, Vista gets sufficient idle time to "superfetch" applications.

Windows Vista Feature Focus: 64-Bit (x64) Support

"For the most part, the x64 support in each edition is identical. One exception is that they support different amounts of RAM. Vista Home Basic (and Home Basic N) with support up to 8 GB of RAM, compared to 4 GB for all 32-bit versions of Vista. Home Premium, meanwhile, will support 16 GB. And Business (and Business N), Enterprise, and Ultimate will all support 128 GB or more of memory. (The "or more" bit refers to the fact that there are no client PCs available yet for over 128 GB of RAM; when that happens, these Vista versions will support it.)"