Company of Heroes

Dragon

I mentioned it to a couple of ppl at the lan Saturday but never shoed anyone the game. I just got my preorder yesterday and its great (knew it would be though). Feels very much like BFME2 and ppl say Dawn of War too. It can play up to 8 ppl on a lan game, basically 4v4. Could make for an interesting lan game. Funny, the Gamespot review use to be 8.9, they seem to have changed that now. And PC Gamer gave it like a 98% I think. :(

One review

Two review

Dragon

Another review

"The fifteen missions that map up the 20-hour single-player campaign are introduced by incredibly dramatic in-game cutscenes that'll evoke joy, excitement, laughter, sadness, and even horror, and unusually for a real-time strategy title the supporting story is well-written, bold, and really motivates the player to fight against the German tyranny enveloping Europe."

Ohhh... peaked my interest. Even though I'm playing WoW (Wildhammer) and Titan Quest right now. For some reason I thought this was FPS.

Wait is this TWO?! THQ games that I'm interested in? I haven't owned a THQ distrubited game in a WHILE.

Edited by irons

Company of Heroes Performance

"One bug we noticed and has become public in Company of Heroes that just today has been patched is that the SLI or Crossfire performance is terrible. There was a bug and with our GeForce 7950 GX2 we achieved performance in the teens. This is the version currently shipping of the game that also has this problem. We're glad it was fixed so quickly but for those who aren't that astute with SLI systems they definitely will be pissed off their extremely expensive graphics cards can't handle Company of Heroes and all may not check for the latest patch. Bad more so for THQ and Relic than for those who do follow games, it would have been better probably to hold off and fix it. After applying the patch today and benchmarking again scores have gone up significantly and the game is more than playable but we felt somewhat disappointed with the scores of our GeForce 7950 GX2, which were still much lower than what we've seen in other high-end games. We'll have to do more testing though to see what exactly might be the issue."

There is a lot to this game I like. It reminds me a lot of the old board and early SSI turn based games. Which starts it off with a good mark in book.

However,

I really dislike micromanaging every troop in ever little skirmish. Basic troops don't come with grenades. Snipers own everything not in a vehicle. Half tracks DON"T come with guns? It's another 50ammo upgrade?! WTF!

Yeah, they make you work for everything, which in turn makes everything you have valuable. I haven't even started playing with the upgrades to the vehicles.

If you think snipers are bad, upgrade your engineers with flamethrowers and watch them take out whole units in notime. :angry:

Dragon

yea.. I did some of the flame throw upgrades. It's kinda sick.

What I'm really looking for is some advanced standard orders. Defend within a sector with a small persuit range, ability to retreat, etc.

I played on another map last night. Much better.

Edited by irons

Yeah, units will defend only in their line of sight. Which works good if your trying to defend a point and have cover for them. I usually send some engineers over and build up some sandbags for cover.

There is a retreat button in the game isn't there? :angry:

Dragon

There is a retreat button. but like I said I'm looking for some "standing orders". Breed a little intelligence into the crowd.

that might require a threshold, like loosing 20% of your squad, then retreat.

I sense some balance issues. I just played a skirmish as the Germans and had no problem wiping the floor with those Americana scum on normal. I built 2 tiger tanks and that marked the end of the other team. I had no problem pilling up on resources too. I had so much I started using the stuff on the command bar just to see what it did or was.

I'll have to play a couple more times. Know thine enemy. :angry:

Dragon

Perhaps it should be know thy software/game limitations..... :o

Speaking of, please post what you feel are short-comings of this game.

Company of Heroes needs or should have:

- a hotkey to show a topographical map or overlay would be really helpful