AMD Dual-Core Optimizer

B.Ob.

PurSuiT gets credit for this one....

AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor Utilities & Updates

"The AMD Dual-Core Optimizer can help improve some PC gaming video performance by compensating for those applications that bypass the Windows API for timing by directly using the RDTSC (Read Time Stamp Counter) instruction. Applications that rely on RDTSC do not benefit from the logic in the operating system to properly account for the affect of power management mechanisms on the rate at which a processor core's Time Stamp Counter (TSC) is incremented. The AMD Dual-Core Optimizer helps to correct the resulting video performance effects or other incorrect timing effects that these applications may experience on dual-core processor systems, by periodically adjusting the core time-stamp-counters, so that they are synchronized."

Came across that when I installed "Company of Hero's" Demo. The games told me to chk AMD's website for updated x2 CPU drivers.

AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor Driver for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 Version (x86 and x64 exe) 1.3.2.16 Released : July 2006

Hmm, Ive yet to see any issues with my X2 (I have had it since january), and I play lotsa games. I do update my drivers for CPU when I do video/chipset monthly however, who knows.

I have had mine now for over a year and had big issues last August when I first got it. had to set Affinity in almost every game. They are getting alot better now with it. Windows update and chipset manufactures have packaged the fixes into their updates now.